Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Water in oil!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Water in oil!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Water in oil! Reply with quote

OK,
next installment in this ongoing saga...........

I've been getting water in the oil for some time but I've never been able to trace where-from. This all started when I overheated the engine.
I've had the head off and the sump all to no avail.
I did find a slight crack behind the dizzy parallel with the surface of the head on the outside of the block but nothing on the inside, where I could see anyway.

Anyway, when I had the head off I took the chance to re gap the valves but after reassembly and running I realised that I'd made a hash of the valve gap as it 'tapped' worse than ever.

So I took the valve cover off and fired her up to try and trace the baddly gapped valve.
And..... hey presto with the engine running and warm I found a creamy/grey immulsion coming out of the gap between the tappet and the bored tappet hole on the forth valve back from the front. There was also a much smaller immulsion coming out of the fifth valve tappet/wall area but this could be due to splash.

So I need to know is there a water gallery in the block between valve tappet 4 and 5 how easy is it to get at? The easy answer is to take the sump off AGAIN which just at the moment I'm trying to avoid. But even then I would get a good look at that area, it needs somebody very familliar with the casting in that area.

Or could there be another route for water into the tappet hole? I've wundered about the likelyhood of it running down the valve stem?
Many thanks,
Dave.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look closely at the cut away photos of the L-134 the water jackets do envelope the guide bosses and the cam follower bosses.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
maeserik

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, you still are there !
Long time we heard news about you !

Erik
1957 fantastic wife

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1865

and this webside
davem201m38

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes,
which TM has the cutaway photos?? or is there a web link??

Erik, I have your Chrismas card here still waiting for me to send it (that was why I needed your address) Pressure of work and family, mean I have not had much time lately.
Also the trucks are getting what spare time I have so the jeeps are taking a back seat at the moment.
I see Ursel is back on for 2007.
All the best,
Dave
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
The civvy service manuals have the cut aways. If you can't locate one let me know and I'll scan and email you tonight.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davem201m38

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes, greatly appreciated... but before you do that which civvy books? I think I can buy a Chiltern locally any other I would have to order but given the extended timescale that's no problem.
Thanks again,
Dave
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Willys/Kaiser service manuals for the universal jeeps are SM-1002 early models last printed about 1965 and SM-1006 covers 1958 thru 1971.

These L-134 cutaways are from SM-1002

You can download the full size images at my photo site:
http://forl134engines.mypicgallery.com/

You'll notice that water surrounds the valve seat area, the guide area, the cylinder barrel and the distributor shaft tube.

timrod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: water in oil Reply with quote

the best way to find it if you have the cover off ,is to pressure the system . if you dont see it from, there take the pan off and look while its under pressure it will show. I have seen the blocks crack on the inside from frezzeing and not cracking on the out side .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: