Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo
M38 Excessive Body Angle

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Rear Main Oil Seal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Rear Main Oil Seal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: M38 Rear Main Oil Seal Reply with quote

I asked this question over on the M38 boards on the G boards but I figured I would ask it here to get the most valuable response.

I recently installed an engine that I had built about 12 years ago in an M38. This engine had only about 10 miles on it since rebuild and ran like a top. I pre-lubed (oil pump with teeth ground off) the engine before I cranked it. The engine seized up after just a few miles. Suspecting the rear main oil seal, I pulled the engine and removed the crankshaft, I noticed the rear mail oil seal was the dreaded Victor oil seal. Took the crankshaft to the our local machine shop and had it turned.

I ordered a new oil seal from one of the Military parts dealer in the Midwest. The oil seal that they sent was a "Best Gasket 3B71" and they said I shouldn't have a problem with the oil seal causing another crankshaft seizing problem. Well, I installed the oil seal according to the M38 & M38A1 books, buttoned the engine back up and installed it in the jeep. I ran the jeep for about 6 miles and pulled the jeep back into the shop and noticed that I now have a small oil puddle under the jeep. Apparently the new rear main oil seal is leaking. I am going to pull the engine back out and put another oil seal in.

What brand of rear main oil seal should I use? Please don't say that you would 40 year NOS seals, cause not everyone has access to a NOS supply.

Not wanting too but I'm thinking of going old school and installing a rope seal.

If you were rebuilding an M38 engine now, what oil seal would you use? Comments welcomed & appreciated.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a rope style seal you are using?
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rope seal Was meant for the sizing of the early crankshaft and the preformed seal was meant for the sizing of the late crankshaft. Willys published a service bulletin on this issue over a half century ago. The AERA publish another on the topic in 2002. So first make sure you have chosen the correct type of seal. Then shop for opinions on the best available brands.

Take a good look at my Rear Seal Photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album134&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a great post with lots of info and photos from Wes:

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10006&highlight=rear+rope+seal
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: