Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo
M38 Excessive Body Angle

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Fuel primer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel primer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeke57

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Fuel primer Reply with quote

I have noticed if my a1 sit's for any period of time it is very hard to start so I have to remove the air cleaner tube and squirt gas into the carb. I have read about solution's to this problem among them being installing a fuel pump with a primer arm or the primer setup which I believe fill's the carb bowl from a device mounted inside the cab. I see Kaiser-Willys has a fuel pump with a primer arm for $146 anyone know if this pump is of good quality? And I also found the NOS primer setup at Debella's for $300+. Are these basically the only two ways to prime the system for quicker starting or does anyone know of other option's. Thanks all.
RonD2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive it more often.

Just sayin... Shocked

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with my M-38CDN and 637 carb, what I do is open the carb vent line to the air filter and squirt gas into the float bowl. Close it back up and she starts right up.

What is happening ios the gas is evaporating out of the carb thru the vent (IMO), I live in Oklahoma and it get quite warm even with the jeep in a garage... if I drive it regularly no problem only happens when store for long periods...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
mdainsd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My M38s have the original style dash mounted primers. While they work great, I find little use for them. Even after sitting, literally for months, no more than 10 seconds of cranking brings them to life, without using that primer. The primer definitely is a plus when they get run out of gas though.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the original carburetor but without the primer arm there are a couple of small parts and the arm itself that are available and should be an easy retrofit.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
zeke57

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not seeing any mention of a primer arm on the carb in any of my manuals. The only primer arm that I am aware of is on the fuel pump.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez Zeke,
Sorry brain fart. Yes, on the fuel pump. I bought a pump that was missing the arm, or so I thought. It had been broken off right at the mounting bolt/screw,
such that it looked like a MWO. There are a couple of small parts that go along with it that I found. Now just need an arm. Easily made or bought.

But that should fill your bowl before starting.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: