Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Odd power brake booster unit on an M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd power brake booster unit on an M38A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject: Odd power brake booster unit on an M38A1 Reply with quote

We have a new member Eric who has one of these on his M38A1. Is anyone familiar with these?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
WillysMotors
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. No. Uncommon, yes.

That is the same vacuum powered brake booster that was used on the Willys CJ5 tow trucks. Seemed a little unusual because they still used 9" drum brakes.

That is the same unit that George Barris and Jim Street (Skonzakes) used on the Golden Sahara II showcar, but not to boost brake power. By having an electric solenoid modulate the vacuum port, they demonstrated the car as having remote braking controlled with a television remote control...in 1955.
Mike_B

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a Bendix Hydrovac Brake Booster. All of my big 1950's Chevrolet trucks have them, although they are physically bigger than this one.

To see if it's working, pump the brakes a few times with the engine OFF to bleed off and remaining engine vacuum, then push the brake pedal in and hold it while you start the engine. As the engine builds vacuum you should feel the pedal fade to the floor slightly, if it's working.

There are re-builders out there if it needs to be rebuilt.

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
tatacz7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply and info. I found the master cylinder under the vehicle. I removed the water pump and radiator, so once I get it running again, ill try the brakes to see if it works. I have lots of questions, just don't know how to post pictures. I was able to read "MD 62887" off the plate that was painted over and was mounted on the right rear fender well. I don't know what that means. Again Thanks for the info.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatacz7,

Can you post a few more photos from a greater distance back of that power brake unit's installation to give us a better idea how it is plumbed into the brake and vacuum system.

The right wheelhouse patent plate serial MD62887 should match the serial on your dash serial plate. If it does not match then either the dash plate does not belong to your jeep or the tub is not the original tub for your jeep.

I strongly suggest you go to our downloads page and download PDF copies of the M38A1 manuals and parts catalog there to help you learn your way around your new jeep. Just click on "DOWNLOADS" on the welcome bar above under the web site title.

I also opened a photo album for you in our "Member's Albums" page:

Here's your album:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album712&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Here's the rules:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=498

Here's the tutorial for loading your album:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album53&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Here's the tutorial for posting your photos:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8670

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: