Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Head lights and tail lights
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Head lights and tail lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cowboy2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Head lights and tail lights Reply with quote

I have a 52 m38. The passenger side head light lights up buy it self. This has happen four the last three days. Also the driver side tail light. When i move the light switch i can get it to turn off. Is this a bad light control switch ?

Any input would be appreciated. [/b]
RonD2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cowboy,
Given that this just happened 3 days ago (and before that all your lights worked correctly), it sure sounds like your switch went bad to me. There's old brittle plastic parts inside them that broke easy even back in the day if not operated correctly (using the unlocking lever before switching anything). See the manual about that.

You might also check for loose, dirty, or corroded wiring around the switch and light connector(s). Or recall anything else you might have been doing to the jeep in the last 3 days that could've maybe caused it.

Does your switch have the oval face or a triangular face? The oval face switch is the later and more common type and is sealed, not repairable. The early triangular face switch can be opened for repair, but parts for it are very hard to find. Replacement NOS oval switches are all over the place for sale at about $75 each. Early triangular switches NOS are very hard to find at about twice that price if you're lucky.

By the way, this is the Wanted (to buy stuff) part of the forum. I'm guessing you meant to ask your question in the Technical Knowledge Base part of the forum? Wes will probably move it so you get better coverage for answers.....

Is your M38 all original 24 volt and wiring, unmolested?

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

cowboy2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: lights Reply with quote

Thanks Ron

What make it weird is that the passenger side came on an the driver side tail lights came on. I'll check as you requested i do and go from there.

Light switch is the old oval one.

Cowboy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you will use the web site to full advantage, IE reviewing my photo albums, particularly the m-series lighting sub-album and our downloads pages you will find a free ton of data begging folks to utilize it.

My Photo Albums: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Our downloads pages: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads

The two Bendix switches have cases that are fastened with screws and easily disassembled. The later throwaway switches have crimped cases and usually the crimps break when toyed with. The current production light switches actually connect right up to the old style cabled plug and will work fine but are quite expensive NOS.

The most common issue with all the Bendix & crimped case switches are wear on the switch slide surfaces and carbon tracking. A simple cleaning of these contact surfaces solves most issues. People have posted a certain degree of success opening the crimped cases and cleaning contact surfaces so since they are a throwaway switch why not give it a try?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Kendall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your wiring laid out like it originally was intended? Since there is only one power source to both headlights low beam and one to both headlights high beam (it splits at the double-Douglas connector before the driver's headlight) it seems odd that only one headlight would shine.
Kendall
1942 Dodge WC-55
1951 M100 trailer
1942 Ben Hur trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboy,

This would be a good time to set your system straight with us.

Quote:
The passenger side head light lights up buy it self. This has happen four the last three days. Also the driver side tail light. When i move the light switch i can get it to turn off. Is this a bad light control switch ?

1 - Is it wired stock?

2 - When you say "Lights up by itself" do you mean it suddenly comes on with the switch off???

3 - Have you checked all lamps (Bulbs) to ensure they all work?

The light switch powers the dimmer switch. The dimmer switch decides on which beam gets illuminated Hi/Lo.

The left rear red steady lamp is the service drive tail lamp. It comes on when you select service drive with the light switch.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
cowboy2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Lights Reply with quote

Wiring is original
Lights come on with switch off
A bulb check showed all o.k.
The only thing i add to the jeep were turn signals (24 volt) and that was 6 months ago.
When i switch on all lights they all work but the driver side tail light.
Cowboy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When i switch on all lights they all work but the driver side tail light.

The driver's side tail light does not work when the light switch is in the service drive position?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: