Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 : OK, Boomer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 : OK, Boomer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RICKG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RICKG wrote:
Whats goin on here??

aha! mystery solved. looking at it from the other side, that L bracket should be mounted to the block at the 2 bosses in the same foto.

RonD2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don,
You may already know this, but thought I'd mention that I noticed you have another hole to plug in the block.
In this photo, to the left of the distributor is a 1/4-inch stud sticking out of the block about an inch. To it's left is another 1/4-inch hole without its stud.
Those studs are for the ignition coil mounting bracket on a CJ motor (obviously not used on the M38). Both holes penetrate the water jacket.
One or two short 1/4-20 x 1/2-inch bolts with a dab of thread sealant will seal them (if you decide to remove the unneeded stud).
Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

RICKG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you pull the distributor and then flip the flat mounting bracket over then reinstall,the distributor will be close to proper orientation altho the rotor problem will not have been addressed. you'll get to that once tdc is established and oil pump correctly indexed to the cam gear.
Naugha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron.
I will plug that hole and look for any others.

Thanks Rick.
Your encouragement is appreciated. I have the starter, gen, carb & VR sitting there on the bench, ready to go .... but best first to fix the distributor. Idea
M38 Project
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correcting the distributor orientation is towards the end of the timing regimen.

Try to keep in mind how ignition timing was accomplished by Willys on their 134 series engines. They took the long way around by first timing cam to crank gear so the valves would be correct. Then they had the cam drive the oil pump. Then they had the oil pump shaft drive the distributor. These two sentences are what drives the painful Willys ignition timing regimen.

1 - Align #1 piston at TDC (accurately using a dial indicator tool) on it's compression stroke.

2 - Remove timing gear cover and confirm cam/valve timing marks are properly aligned.

3 - Using the TM properly align the oil pump shaft with the cam to oil pump drive gear.

4 - With oil pump shaft in correct position you then install the distributor shaft by properly clocking it with the oil pump shaft.

All of these steps are clearly written in the TM's and the procedures are very heavily discussed on this web site and also shown in my Photos sub-album "Album: Ignition System both L and F 134."

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Naugha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back to the mechanic with pics along with manual print outs I had given him several month ago.... then brought the distributor home for inspection. Several things going on.

He thought he had followed the manual diagrams when positioning the distributor but that was clearly not the case.
He thinks the dist mount and block only allow the orientation he used. (???) Here is the mount.

Also. When I rebuilt the distributor I remade one of the locking tabs that hold the internal plate in position. The tab I made may not have been thick enough and eventually did not hold the plate firmly producing a noticeable rattle when spinning the shaft. When the mechanic adjusted the gap etc. he did not spin the shaft and did not notice that the internal mounting plate had become loose. Today I made another tab and sandwiched them together producing a tight fit with no rattle.

Not sure why the rotor broke. Something about the rattle, wrong cap/rotor or something else.
Will buy another and double check cap/rotor M38 compatibility.

Will get a few 'expert' opinions about the serviceability of the distributor then find another mechanic. Confused
M38 Project
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don,
Not sure about your mounting plate, but if the oil pump is not installed correctly it will not allow the distributor to be adjusted to correctly time the motor.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,
How much work did this shop do with the motor?
Just wondering if they did the entire build? Is anything inside that you can't see also thought to be correct but might not be?
Better to know now rather than later?
Sorry, I know that isn't something you'd care to hear.

--- Enzo Ferrari

Naugha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian & Ron
Yup. Need to go back and check a bunch of stuff. One shop did the engine block rebuild. The other spent several months getting around to a day of some basic work I did not want to attempt (clutch/timing/oil pump/distributor).

The good news is that lots of stuff is on the launch pad.

Overdue for this one man show to find a local ‘jeep buddy’ who can turn a wrench. I know a few folks but have been dragging my feet on making the call.

“Hi Jerry. You know that war jeep resto I told you about? Well, how would you like to come out to ‘The Barn’ and take a look? Maybe bring Joe along.Great fun and later we can whitewash my fence. Wink
M38 Project

Last edited by Naugha on Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naugha wrote:
Great fun and later we can whitewash my fence. Wink

Too funny Don! Make the call!

If I may suggest that coffee & donuts early with a catered lunch served by Hooter's later would make better bait. If I was closer I'd be there.

Good luck!

--- Enzo Ferrari

4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Jones aside Hooters has great wings!!
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Naugha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the distributor Smile

RickG suggested the Advance Arm bracket thingy had been installed upside down and needed to be flipped .... which produces this.... which now looks correct to me compared to the dist. diagrams in 1825B / P.242 & 9 SNL G-740 p.105.

Today I will go to the barn and see if the flip allows correct orientation of the dist.

Opinions are always welcome. Cool
M38 Project
RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Don,
Isn't this just around the corner from you? http://www.ewillys.com/2022/02/25/1952-m-38-christmas-fl-15000/

--- Enzo Ferrari

Naugha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas Fl. About 2hrs. from here.

Amazing how these things can sometimes be bought for less than the price of the materials. $15-$20k can buy a very nice war jeep..... but then heck, anyone can write a check. Where’s the fun in that??

Went to a vintage car show today. Lots of great rides. No war jeeps. Saw a restored VW camper from the ‘60s. Asking price $59k. Don’t know what the guy actually got but it sold about an hour after the show started.

At the barn right now. I mounted the distributor today. Will send pics later this PM. Looks like the shop mechanic did not look close enough at the diagram and got the mounting arm/bracket backarssed.
M38 Project
Naugha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas Fl. About 2hrs. from here.

Amazing how these things can sometimes be bought for less than the price of the materials. $15-$20k can buy a very nice war jeep..... but then heck, anyone can write a check. Where’s the fun in that??

Went to a vintage car show today. Lots of great rides. No war jeeps. Saw a restored VW camper from the ‘60s. Asking price $59k. Don’t know what the guy actually got but it sold about an hour after the show started.

At the barn right now. I mounted the distributor today. Will send pics later this PM. Looks like the shop mechanic did not look close enough at the diagram and got the mounting arm/bracket backarssed which screwed up the distributor orientation..... which maybe screwed up other stuff.
M38 Project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 6 of 21

Jump to: