Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - hi kiddzzz, new kid here. M38A1, 52
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hi kiddzzz, new kid here. M38A1, 52
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indy4570

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: hi kiddzzz, new kid here. M38A1, 52 Reply with quote

so I am getting into my first "jeep" jeep. I have a couple grocery gitter Xjs and a 73 commando and even an FC170 DRW but this will be my 1st Jeepy Jeep. You know, the no door jeep, the fold the windshield down Jeep. But like everything I get, this one has an oddball factor. My soon to be possessed jeep, ( owned, not possessed by an evil spirit, I hope .... I will NOT name it Christine!) Ok this beast is an M38A1, a 1952 with the correct early stuff, some of it at least. It has some USMC markings, time will tell if they are real. Data plates have been replaced by the prison or factory and the farm plate with the JeeP in between them. it is missing a lot of things, but it has the F 134 and it runs. It also has something that some say nay and some say yay as to the use in wartime. it has dualls. It has the fenders, time will tell how many layers of the paint on the fenders matches the layers on the body. Some anecdotal information was imparted to me by a guy who spoke to a guy who's 2nd cousin, NO, the owner spoke to an old man in his 80s, a Korean war vet. he said they used duals on some of the jeeps that sported generator sets mounted midships and run off a PTO This particular jeep has a PTO and the shaft, or what's left of it faces the rear and there isn't much evidence of anything on the rear so... My Father was a Korean war vet, he was working in the motor pool in Seoul. He worked on these jeeps and many other war machines, so I am gonna work on a jeep too. I was all set to go after it when my dodge decided to throw an oily messy fit and soon after that the polar vortex arrived... So anyways, I hope to learn from those of you that are in the know and be entertained by those of you that dont know nuttin like me!

thanks for lettin me in

Indy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy,
Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have plenty of work in your future. Be sure to favorites mark this Post Thread on our Projects Board so you can find it down the road to post your project's progress. Don't overlook our super detail Technical Board and helpful parts board as well.

Everyone hopes their jeep was a combat veteran and many were. People have a tendency to label the M38 and the M38A1 as Korean War jeeps when in all reality the thousands of jeeps serving in the Korean War 1950-53 were primarily MB's and GPW's. Quite a few M38's made it over after 1951. The first A1's showed up in early 53 and never saw much front line duty before the Armistice in 1953.

I have heard of field addition of dualies for heavy work jeeps by the military but have never seen one.

The easiest way to illustrate your postings is to utilize one of our Photo Album Page Albums. Let me know if you would like to start one for your new project.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Photos? Cool
Indy4570

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

working on it, still not a smooth operation but I see a pic.

Indy4570

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there it is, knob #4, yes kiddzzz we has a PTO!

and here is what is on the PTO, OK so not a lot left of whatever it was driving but hey, its a start!

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be careful not to engage that farm jeep PTO with that U joint half stub axle flopping around behind the PTO. What brand/model PTO is that?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Indy4570

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
I would be careful not to engage that farm jeep PTO with that U joint half stub axle flopping around behind the PTO. What brand/model PTO is that?

Yeah no need to throw that thing around loose. I have no idea what brand it is. I have never seen this jeep. I have a lot of pictures but a broken truck and a nationwide polar freeze has kept me from going after it or having it hauled to me. I have a loaded trailer with some trading stuff loaded up that is going to the jeep location, then the jeep gets to come home to me.

wish me luck that it makes it home soon!
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,
Those duallies give that thing a low, mean look!

I like it!!
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some period pictures of duals on MB and GPW radio jeeps. have yet to see some for M-38s or A1s. I have the kit to put them on though.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
Indy4570

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdainsd wrote:
I have some period pictures of duals on MB and GPW radio jeeps. have yet to see some for M-38s or A1s. I have the kit to put them on though.

what kit? I have found many versions of dually adapters. I have a set that are like the Hickey style, mine are reproductions I believe as they are unmarked. I have read of kits including the fender extensions back when. I dont know what adapters are on this jeep. waiting on the full thaw to get it home.
Indy4570

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after many issues from truck failures to shippers who never came through to thousands spent trying to come up with another truck to make the haul myself the seller backed out 3 days before I was ready to leave. so there is currently no M38A1 in my future
mdainsd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. It is lame when you put that kind of hope and effort into something like that just to have it go up in smoke.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
RonD2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Disappointing to say the least.

Something about counting chickens before they hatch comes to mind....can't put my finger on it right now.

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

whydahdvr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay on this forum and site though. Vehicles come up periodically.....
Good luck!
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
Indy4570

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonD2 wrote:
Wow. Disappointing to say the least.

Something about counting chickens before they hatch comes to mind....can't put my finger on it right now.

you know eggs never hatch unless they are incubated right? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: