Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - A1 doesn't stay running.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A1 doesn't stay running.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: A1 doesn't stay running. Reply with quote

This is a new one for me. Helping a friend with his new A1 purchase. Nice original Jeep, no one has monkeyed with anything. Got it home and he cleaned out the tank, when through the carb and checked the initial timing. before we tried to start it we did a compression test as we had the plugs out to replace them anyway. 110 psi down the row.

Starts right up, sounds good and dies at 2 seconds in. It does this every time.

We fooled around with it a few times same result. Today we ran a jumper from the battery to the distributor just to rule out flaky wiring somewhere. Same thing.

Just for kicks i suggested disconnecting the two cables at the regulator. Guess what? Starts up, keeps running and sounds awesome. Ran out of time for the day.

While I have never come across this I will go into the generator and regulator with the meter next time. Seems whats happening (not yet verified) is what the engine comes up to speed the generator cuts in and apparently that is shorting the system. Of course as soon as the engine stops the fault clears and you can start it up right away and it dies again. My "guess" and that is all it is at this point is that the armature is shorted to ground in the generator or the connecting cable. Regulator cuts in hooking the armature to the system which kills the system. We will see...

Interesting problem, wondering if any of you have ever run into this one. We have spare generators and regulators so it won't be a problem getting the Jeep running. I just want to dig further and pin point the failure mode.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming it has a mechanical regulator. I had a similar thing, check the breaker relay in the regulator. It may have tripped and preventing power from getting to the system...

If it did would clean the contacts and go from there...

Not saying that is the problem but something to look at...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. one of several things to check. I have had these generator/ regulator combos turn into "motors" that tried to turn the engine when you shut the vehicle off.

Still has a mechanical regulator. Just picked up another generator, regulator and cables at Plymouth a few weeks ago. 35 bucks for the whole shebang.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: