Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Oil pressure guage maxes out when ignition in turned on
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil pressure guage maxes out when ignition in turned on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColKilgore2860

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Oil pressure guage maxes out when ignition in turned on Reply with quote

1952 M-38 24 volt. Recent acquisition. Installed new matching oil pressure gauge and sending unit from Peter DB. Previous owner had installed some ugly gauges that I wanted to replace.
Seems like it should be straightforward. Sending unit-to-correct wire- to-Oil pressure gauge. I read about the grounding issue with gauges/dashboard, so I made a small harness, similar to the #27 spider one, grounding it to all four gauges, then to a ground on my firewall. When I turn the ignition to the on position, the needle swings over to the max (60) reading on the OPG.
I would have thought that the gauge would not read anything unless the engine was running. I have not started the engine yet, just turned it over a couple of times, because I am waiting to feel certain that all gauges, especially the OPG are operating correctly.
As I write this, I am wondering if 1-I should not have grounded the gauge, or 2-, if my grounding "spider-harness" is connected to the ground on another one of the gauges, and connecting to something other than a ground.
Thanks
M38A1 & M38
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where on the gage did you connect this added ground wire?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your wire from the sending unit to the gauge.

I was getting no reading when connected normally, put a mechanical gauge in as a safety to make sure I got pressure, and the regular 24v oil pressure gauge now pegs when the ignition is turned on.

Not saying this is the absolute problem, but same symptom I have with sender disconnected.

I am waiting for funds to change both sender and gauge to 120 lb which is what the book calls for for the M-38A1. I currently have 60 lb...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
ColKilgore2860

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Problem mostly solved Reply with quote

Thanks, Wes, for your quick reply. Sorry for my lengthy delay. I just got back from a no-internet location.

The issue seems to be the connection between the oil pressure sending unit and the wire connected to it. It is fixed, at least for now.

This aftermarket oil pressure sending unit has a very (almost too) short pin.
So far it seems to me that one of the downsides of most of the aftermarket gages , seem to be a little wider then they should be.

Because of this, I have decided not to strap on my scuba tank and drive around submerged.

As always, thanks for your help and dedication.

Best,
A
M38A1 & M38
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: