Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Parking Brake Squeaking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parking Brake Squeaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_B

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Parking Brake Squeaking Reply with quote

My M38 Parking Brake setup is all new (repo drum, shoes and springs) and it squeaks at low speed and when in reverse, but not all the time.

I adjusted everything per the manual and thought after a few miles of driving it would wear in and stop making noise. I've put about 85 miles on it and it still making noise. If I gently pull on the brake lever it stops making the noise.

Do I need to revisit my adjustments or is this normal?

Thanks,

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try driving with the floor center closure panels removed so you can better pinpoint the true source of the noise. Main suspicion area is any links or moving parts that may be rattling or chaffing with the brake completely released.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Mike_B

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

It's defiantly the shoes to drum squeaking, as soon as I start rolling it starts and the faster I roll the faster it squeals until engine/road noise drowns it out and I no longer hear it with my old ears.

The way it's adjusted now I have the brakes locked in the park position when the handle is pulled out about 5 clicks (2-1/2 to 3" out).

Another thought is maybe I should have beveled the corners on the brake shoe linings...they came square cut.

Mike B
1951 M100 Trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the TM 9-8012 only states adjust shoes till snug then back off until proper running clearance is attained but fails to list that running clearance value.

As usual if the military manual lacks the full answer the next step is the civvy manual SM-1002.

SM-1002 also neglects to list the running clearance but it does at least tell you how many turns to make towards loose, after you first adjust the two adjusters till the shoes drag on the drum, it says back off 7 notches on BOTH adjuster wheels.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Mike_B

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes! I did read here somewhere about the 7 clicks and that's the way I did them when they got done over the Winter. Maybe I should revisit that adjustment again just to confirm I did it right.

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: