Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Seized engine - Advice needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seized engine - Advice needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eades

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Seized engine - Advice needed Reply with quote

Background on the engine. It was rebuilt a a machine shop approximately 12 years ago for the PO. I have ran it 1365 mile with out issue. It has always had low oil pressure but I am running a 70 year old gauge and who know how old sender. I was happy to have oil pressure. Perhaps the oil pump took a crap.

I was driving it at highway speed recently and it just quit. No noise just quit like a light switch turned off. After trouble shooting thinking it was electrical, I found it to be seized. So far:

-tried to turn from the crankshaft nut- no dice
-ruled out clutch and/or transmission
-drained oil. Looked black but not shiny.
-dropped pan. Some particles there but not metallic. Some from the gasket material in the removal process.
-loosened the main bearings and tried to turn. No dice.
-cylinder bores look fine from below.
-do not see any tooth damage on the crank gear.

It could be in the cam or some where else that it is seized. Next steps and advice? I don't want to take the engine out if I don't absolutely have to. Thanks in advance.
RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,
Sorry to hear that. I think you'll eventually have to pull the engine anyway, but have you removed the oil pump and distributor? The oil pump drive gear meshes with the camshaft. Pulling them might reveal damage.

Was the radiator coolant level ok? Did you pull the spark plugs and they look ok?

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

mdainsd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was "Low oil pressure"?

Without removing the engine, my next steps would be to inspect the rod bearings that you can get to with the crank in its current position. And about all that is left, shy of pulling the engine, is removing the head for an inspection of the top end.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it quit so suddenly (like a switch turned off), I was thinking (after pulling the oil pump) that it could be hydrolocked, as unlikely as that might be.
Removing the spark plugs is easy and should tell.

Keep us posted what you find. Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

jake138
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that you're having engine troubles Rick.

I personally can't see how a lack of oil pressure would seize the pistons dead in their tracks the way you described with all the other information given. A lack of oil could seize the crank or the cam, however I tend to believe you may have heard some indication of this before full engine seizure. You mentioned that you drained the oil and its quality didn't look peculiar, so I have to assume that the quantity that was drained also looked correct. With this in my mind, I would rule out an oil related issue.

You mentioned that you "ruled out clutch and/or transmission" as the culprit, and I would have to assume that you say this because you were able to safely coast to a stop after the engine seized. Once the engine locked up completely, holding the clutch pedal in or shifting to neutral would still allow you to coast to a stop, and this is how I'm assuming you ruled them out.

The only time I've ever seized an engine in the exact method that you described (highway speed, able to hold the clutch in and coast to a stop, sudden "it just quit like a light switch") was because the engine overheated and squeezed the pistons until they stopped dead in their tracks. If I were you, I would start with pulling the head off to see if the pistons locked up against the cylinder walls. At this point, you've already dropped the pan and loosened up the main bearing caps, it sounds to me like you've been inside the engine for a few minutes. What's a head gasket and a few more minutes to take the head off really going to cost?

Good luck Rick, keep us posted.
Eades

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the rod bearings and that was it. The rear one had metal in it. Small pieces in the oil pan too. I was able to turn the engine with a socket one I removed the rear cap and bumped it back and forth in 3rd.

Low pressure was 10 or less at times. I am running the 120 PSI gauge and 60 PSI sender.

I have to pull the engine now. Probably take it to the engine shop for a really good cleaning. Replace all bearings and clean up the crank for sure.
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to carefully check the condition of the oil pump too.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to install reliable modern direct reading mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauges that can be relied on.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jake138
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eades wrote:
I pulled the rod bearings and that was it. The rear one had metal in it. Small pieces in the oil pan too. I was able to turn the engine with a socket one I removed the rear cap and bumped it back and forth in 3rd.

Low pressure was 10 or less at times. I am running the 120 PSI gauge and 60 PSI sender.

I have to pull the engine now. Probably take it to the engine shop for a really good cleaning. Replace all bearings and clean up the crank for sure.

Well shucks, I stand corrected! I'm surprised you didn't hear anything leading up to the engine seizing. I would have always assumed low oil pressure for that length of time would have led to at least some God-awful engine noises.

To reiterate what Wes said, I guess it really does pay dividends to have gauges you can rely on. Without any noises or other indications, your engine gave you the silent treatment right up until she quit!

Sorry to hear about your engine Rick.
Eades

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to bite the bullet and get a new oil pump. The bearings are trashed on the crank. Will take it to be machined. The bearings were .020 over. I will learn from my mistakes as it is an opportunity to make it reliable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: