Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - front axel
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

front axel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacques

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: front axel Reply with quote

My front axel (the long one, bendix) is starting to make noise and I was wondering if I should start looking for another one (original bendix) and this I am not to sure if there many around OR start looking for a newer one like a CJ5 or something like that and if a CJ5 front axel would fit in M38 diff with no modification to the front flange, spindle, wheel bearing etc .

Anybody aware of any vendors selling axels.

Should i start asking the local Trany/diff shop if they can fixe that (oversize balls)
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the four types can be adapted to your housing. Most of the vendors will carry one or two types. Depending on what you install you may need to accomadate a slightly different bushing/retaining arrangement.

Try Midwest Military, Brian Asbury, Willys Acres, Northland Willys, Northstar Willys, Peter DeBella, and Army Jeep Parts.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jacques

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes
cmpman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a choice, go with the latest style of axle, like that used on the M38A1Cdn 2 and 3s. These are the axles that have a common U-joint on them.
In all the years I worked on these Jeeps, I never had to replace a front axle once. I upgraded the old Bendix axles on my M38 with them, and never looked back.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The late axle cardon joints do NOTallow as tight a turning radius as the early Bendix and Rzeppa . If you do use the later Cardon joints be sure to re-adjust your steering stops.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jacques

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Wes,
Well whoever adjusted the steering stops last, welded them in place, no more adjustment but Looks like they were adjusted a little less than spec so I will be OK

Now "cmpman" do you know of a supplier here in canada where I could buy one or two axels for my M38?

Or are they the regular early CJ 1960/70's axels you could order from the local 4X4 shop around here in Montreal?
cmpman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the same as the CJs from the 60s. I bought a pallet full of brand new CJ5 axles about 20 years back, some front and some rear. I now only have one pair of these front shafts left, and I'm keeping them for myself.
Not sure where you are going to find them here in Canada. You can try some of the usual places here in Canada, like Brian Asbury, Willys acres, gemini jeep.. Or you can check around any military surplus scrapyards.
JC Whitney in the US lists the CJ5 axles for $155 each.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductBrowse/showCustom-0/makeName-Jeep/makeId-40/modelName-CJ5/modelId-1166/year-1968/refId-20000097/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2001081/c-10108/p-2001081/N-111+600007687+200004012+1968/tf-Browse/s-10101
Liviu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Willys acres Reply with quote

Jacques, be aware of Willys Acres.
A few of us had very unpleasant experiences with them.
TomM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: front axles Reply with quote

Brent Mullens has WWII style Rzeppa axles. You will have to follow the CJ assembly manual and install them with the nut at the end of the axle and shims under the hub (.060 from memory) . All the vendors were asking around $100/axle but Mullens had them at somewhere around $50.
I did not have any luck finding the true M-38 style axles that didn't have the end nut.
The axles are coated with cosmolene. Take the time to dis'assemble the joint, clean it with mineral spirits, grease it and reassemble it.
If you choose to go with the WWII axles be sure to order shims and the end nut when you buy an axle.
I found most vendors dont know the difference between a WWII axle and an M series axle so be prepared to explain that in your search.
While you are in there you should check/replace the bronze bearing.
After you replace the bronze bearing, double check the fit on the axle. I chucked the spindle into a lathe and used emery cloth to open the fit just enough for the "running fit" called for in the manual.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: