Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 body tub replacement kit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 body tub replacement kit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadgrassdog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: M38A1 body tub replacement kit Reply with quote

Hello all… I am new to your forum here and have a question in hopes of getting some good answers… Thanks for letting me aboard!

I have inherited a 1953 willys M38a1 in need of a new body tub. I would like to replace the tub with a straight fendered tub as opposed to the rounded fenders currently on the vehicle. Can someone tell me what tub will replace the tub that I have now with straight fenders. There seems to be a lot of places out there that sell the tub replacement kits but for some reason nobody can give me a straight answer and I don’t want to go through the hassle of several different tub before I get the correct one.

The information I have on the registration says:
1953 MD61450 Willy LE... Does that help at all?

-Steve
JustenWilson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen replacement military tubs only CJs. If you have an m38a1, i would stronlgy suggest fixing that up to original. I would think it would only help the value. Instead of a m38a1 with a m38 tub. But to answer your question i have never messed with them. I'm not sure if they are backwards compatible.
deadgrassdog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a hunting jeep so I am not looking to restore it to Military. This jeep belonged to my uncle and he bought it second hand rebuilt the engine but after he died it sat for about 8 years and just got rusty. It is a true Military jeep cause it has the black-out light and was 24 volt but that has been changed over to 12 volt.

I remember this darn thing just about climbing up walls and I want to get it road ready so when I tow it to the ranch it will be ready to go. The tub it has now it pretty shot the gas tank was rusted out the running board also and the rust is starting to eat through the sides to that is why I am looking for a tub replacement.

Thank you!
-Steve
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MD Juan in the Phillippines makes a replacement M38A1 body. If you are going to spend $2000 for a body you may as well use the correct body and keep the jeep's value up where it belongs. The civilian CJ5 tub will bolt staright on. The flat fender tubs were designed for use on the 80" wheel base frames not the M38A1/CJ5 81" wheel base frame.

The round fender bodies offer the most front seat room. I can't image any good reason to go backwards to a flat fender tub.

If you want a tailgate then use the CJ5 tub.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Niclas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need a new tub try to find a used one in good shape.

MD Juan quality check is/can have be done by a blind chicken Laughing
But the steel quality is good.

I bought one for my CJ3B/M606 and and I have spend many many hours to correct it. and I around 90% correct now and in happy with that.

so many wrongs and fault that I can almost write a book about it Razz

If you need info about what ppl have to say about replacement tubs from MD JUAN check out the g503.com forum section.

I think every NOS tub that you can buy today is from MD Juan.

/Niclas
hillbilly21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: tub Reply with quote

I have bought repo tubs , including a M38A1

bought it from Willys Overland ..paid a little more but when they get them in they retro fit theres so you dont have the hassle of drilling prefabing like there competitors sell..I have bought form other than willys and I was a sorry SOB...

There is a few members that seen a tub that wasnt from willys I got and it took me 3 months to make it fit right..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: