Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Over drive and PTO fitment
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Over drive and PTO fitment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davem201m38

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Over drive and PTO fitment Reply with quote

Hello all,
well this winter it looks like I'm finally getting round to fitting the winch and PTO and to make European trips and our mororway trips safer an overdrive.

Now they'll both match with a lid'l help from an A-DAP-TER kit (couldn't help the Jonny Cash)

The overdrive is one of Herm's and the PTO is a Ramsey (not THE Ramsey)

Oh yeah, for safety I'm also fitting a duel circuit master cylinder and a remote top up reservoir for the master cylinder.

So, any issues you guys can think of that I should be awear of?
Thanks,
Dave.
m38mc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
I have an overdrive fitted to my M38 and love it. I also have the PTO Adaptor and the correct pto for the M38. I have not installed the pto because with the overdrive, adaptor and pto all bolted together, the shifter
for the OD would require a hole cut in the tub right where the leg of the drivers seat mounts. This would require repositing the seat mount or using a seat frame from a CJ3A.
Hope this helps,
PS, I have "THE Ramsey PTO"
kb1ics
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH, AH, No Bragging!! Laughing

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davem201m38

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry,
I'll try and modify the linkage so the lever come up where it's shown in the diagrams without the added PTO.
Yes Wes, here we have a good old English word that isn't actually an insult for people with tag libe like, PS. I have "THE Ramsey PTO"
All the best,
Dave. Very Happy Very Happy
m38mc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have proof read my message. The lever for the OD comes out in the normal position, it is the shifter for the PTO that is the issue with the seat leg. Embarassed What is that word, Quote "we have a good old English word that isn't actually an insult for people with tag libe like, PS. I have "THE Ramsey PTO" Just poking a little fun.

Dave what PTO are you using? I have installation instructions for mounting the CJ version if you would like them.
kb1ics
davem201m38

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Larry,
I don't have all the parts together yet so could you just explain something I don't get, not having the parts I'm working from web site diagrams and drawings which is not the best.

I can understand the PTO lever being repositioned as the PTO is pushed further to the rear, but I can't figure why the OD lever would be repositioned if it had the adapter and the PTO bolted to the back of the OD unit.

I've never done this (or seen one in real life) so please explain s-l-o-w-l-y for this poor Limey.
Thanks,
Dave.
davem201m38

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry, its a PT-1J I'm using.

I'm planning on cutting a couple of inches out of the middle of the chain box to shorten it to the same length as the 'real ramsey' That way I can keep the exhaust system unmodified.
Mind you I haven't seen it or took it apart yet so I don't know just how feasable that plan is.

I'm also trying to figure out how to make a linkage to position the PTO drive in the right hole

Wes, if you pick this up, thanks for posting the winch dimensions post, can't think why nobody thought to do it before given the hundreds of posts asking for dimensions. Good idea.
48cj2a

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davem201m38 wrote:
Hi Larry, its a PT-1J I'm using. I'm planning on cutting a couple of inches out of the middle of the chain box

Dave,

Its your PTO but...

If you plan to cut you might reconsider and purchase a PT1-T or F to cut.

A guy looking for a PTO for his CJ-2,3,5,6 or M38/38A1 would appreciate the opportunity to get the correct CJ PTO for his front or rear needs.

You might even consider getting a Koenig 41 and cut it since they pop up on eBay about every two weeks and seem pretty plentiful.

Just a thought Smile
48 CJ2A #194287 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191
48 T3-C #25038
?? T3-C no dataplate
85 M-1009 CUCV
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Art makes a good point I can see why Dave would rather shorten the Ramsey box with parallel sides then the tapered Koenig. I would think the Koenig would fit better since it doesn't have the long rearward setback of the Ramsey.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've now been out in the light to pull the old rear drive output PTO and do a tooth count for the OD.

Now I properly understand about the PTO lever; its not the lever coming through the floor that is the problem, it is the PTO turret coming up through the floor, for which I can't figure a way round other than repositioning the seat leg.

And suddenly there doesn't seem very much room between the centre line of where I think the PTO will be and the floor. Has anybody ever fitted a OD and this PTO on an M38?

Scraching my head in -5degrees of wind chill.
All the best,
Dave.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The physical shortage of space between the top of the PTO and the floor is usually overcome by either lowering the tranny cross member or raising the body tub. I know raising the tub seems a bit overkill but I favor it since it doesn't disturb drive angles for the drive shafts. The downside is the 1" of raising results in an almost equal drop in the steering wheel.

davem201m38

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. Physically modifiying the jeep is not something I want to do. I mean bolting bits on is one thing but raising the tub, no I don't want to do that, I like my jeep the way it is. Besides I'm not sure how I would raise a tilt grill? Sad Dropping the cross member? Confused I don't like the sound of that either.

There is a genuine ex USAF MB down in Licolnshire that has a huge winch under the rear floor of the jeep, an ex USAF mod. The floor is superbly metal worked to have a semi circular bulge across the rear to allow for the drum.

I will look some more tomorrow, and see if I could I not modify the floor with a little 'bulge'
SteveJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Herm the OD guy have a soloution to this problem? that would work for the M38. Smile
1991 Reynolds Boughton RB44 GS TUH
1952 M38 CDN W/W (Sold)
1953 M100 CDN Trailer
1951 PE95K Genset (Sold)
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
my interpretation of what Herm emailed me is; if the body is lined up OK it should fit OK. If the body is out of line there might be a problem.
However he doesn't have any 26 tooth gears till around January so that problem is put back a bit.

Which brings me to my next post, why so many different tooth counts in the same tansfer box?
All the best ,
Dave.
48cj2a

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
How do your pads between the body and frame mounts look?

If they are crushed or even gone that could also explain your clearance issue as well.
48 CJ2A #194287 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191
48 T3-C #25038
?? T3-C no dataplate
85 M-1009 CUCV
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: