Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Engine Cylinder Compression Test Gauge
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Cylinder Compression Test Gauge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdavis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Engine Cylinder Compression Test Gauge Reply with quote

Can someone tell me how to make/build a gauge to test engine cylinder compression? I have an air pressure gauge and some old spark-plugs - was hoping I could use this to rig up something using some cheap plumbing parts from Home Depot.

Barring that, how about the best place to buy such a tool and model number, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TomM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: M38 jeep Reply with quote

Hello TDavis,

It looks like you are just starting to work on your jeep and welcome to the list.

The three questions you posted can be answered in short or long but the BEST thing to do is be sure you get the manuals for the jeep. There is a ton of information in them that will help, with pictures, show you how to lift the body, install drivetrain, run compression checks etc. Its good stuff.

The very short answers are:
Buy a compression tester from NAPA or local auto parts store or your favorite low-cost website. I suppose someone has built one but these are relatively inexpensive and I always find that troubleshooting tools is never more productive than using them.

Removing the body. Lots of ways but the book shows how to use straps. You can also use 4 of your friends.
Once it is off you may want to stow it on its side secured to a wall in the garage. I usually use a couple of tires on the floor as a base to sit the side on. They are soft and spread the load a bit so you dont put all the weight on one part of the body.

Axles - these are generally self aligning when installed with correct original springs and hardware.

Great to hear you are digging into the project. Hope this helps.

Tom
tdavis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, thanks for the msg.

As far as a library goes …

I have these in both paper and electronic (PDF):
TM 9 – 8014 (Operation and Maintenance)
TM 9 - 8015-1 (Engine and Clutch)
TM 9 - 8015-2 (Powertrain and Body)
ORD 9 SNL G-758 (Full, detailed parts listing)

And these in paper only:
AR 850-5 (Markings)
TB 9 – 2855-43 (Personnel Hot-water Heater Kit Installation)
TM 9 – 2320-208-20P (Repair parts and special tools)
TM 11 – 284 (Radio Sets – AN/GRC-3, -4, -5, -6, -7, and -Cool

I also have all revisions/updates to the above, if there are any.

I also have this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Rebuilders-Manual-1946-1971-Restoration/dp/0837610370/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196280297&sr=1-14 – pretty good book.

I’ve asked for this for Christmas … http://www.vintagevideo.com/jeep/index.html - shows a rebuild of a WWII Jeep, but I hoped to learn something out of it and get motivated.

Also found many web sites, but these two in particular look good:
http://www.willystech.com/wt/T90RebuildGuide/T90rebuild.htm
http://www.willystech.com/wt/Model18TCase/Model18TransferCase.html

And of course this site and the "G" are awesome!

I have pored over these manuals and the web for many hours (wife thought it was funny ... at first) - just trying to gain from experience as well ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TomM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic,
Those are the manuals and your library is much more complete than mine.
I also have spent many hours pouring through books, reading and re-reading sections. Great stuff.

I'll let you know how the hoist method of body lift works. The sheetmetal work on my M38 tub is done and I'll test fit it to the frame sometime in the next two weeks. Usually I just have a few people over to lift the tub on or off but after the test fit, I'll be removing the tub again until I can paint it in the spring.

Is your A1 running? You mentioned engine rebuilds but what is bring you to think it needs a rebuild? As a very rough guide, I spent about $1500 having my M38 machined and reassembled. It needed to be bored, crank turned, valve guides, I chose hardened exhaust valves and seats, clean/true the head, new pistons, bearings, oil pump etc etc etc. It can be done less expensively and more expensively. Be sure your machine shop is interested in doing these old engines.

You can do the trans and transfer yourself. There are a couple of great websites. I also got a $5 T-90 video at one of the MV meets. Your wife will love that one.

Tom
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are thinking of a cylinder leak down checker if you are considering using a compressor.

The compression gage simply screws in the plug hole and reads pressure in the cylinder when the engine is cranked over.

A leak down tester is used to more accurately determine exactly what may be causing a low compression reading. This tool has a pair of air pressure gages connected with a calibrated orifice (usually .040) between them. You connect your air compressor to one side and then connect the other side to the cylinder you are testing. Then with the cylinder's piston at TDC you pressurize the cylinder using an inlet pressure of 80 PSI. Your outlet pressure should fall between 50 and 80 PSI. A dynamic seal (the seal between the rings and the bore also known as the moving seal)leak down figure of about 60 on all four cylinders with the low cylinder within 10% of the high cylinder is ok. Static seal ( leakage thru valves, gaskets and block cracks) should be Zero. You can listen for valve leaks at the exhaust pipe and the intake manifold/carb. Head gaskets leaks can be heard whistling into the adjacent cylinder or via bubbles in the radiator.

Differential compression or leak down tester

compression tester

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: