Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Another ? on fording
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another ? on fording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Another ? on fording Reply with quote

Were the differentials on the M38 and A1 supposed to be tubed up for pressurizing and venting for fording mode and non-fording? Doesn't make sense if they weren't.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They weren't. The 6 pilot models were. You don't want to pressurize them to avoid pushing gear oil onto the brakes. Venting above the water line would help and the pilot models ran the vent lines to the air cleaner.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so wouldn't it be proper to run the vent lines on all the others that were made to the air cleaner and not tube it to the pressure source if the they really wanted to keep water out of the differentials. Water could possibly get thru that little vent fitting on the Differentials couldn't it?
davem201m38

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum.... if water was getting through the oil bath and down such a vent line I'd suspect water in your diffs would be the least of your worries! Wink
davem201m38

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a series note. I've seen this tried on European vehicles and can see why the idea was dropped. The flexi hose takes quite a battering and unlike the brake hoses it's not apparent that it's failed, also the mechanics tend to ignor it and then it can become a route in for moisture. In the drilling and mining world where I used to work these type breathers were often retro fitted with mushroom valves or worse blanked off meaning moisture was pulled in from other places (seals) when the hot axles hit cod mud/water/slush etc. I stress this is commercial plant NOT jeeps or Mil stuff.
Hey Ho,
Dave.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had several older vehicles with extension hoses installed by the factory on the diff vents. These were usually tucked up high in the frame but I seem to recall they were poppet or check valve type vent fittings.

Ken,
My meaning in my post was it would not make good sense to pressurize them. It would make good sense to vent them higher and the 6 pilot models did that but for some reason the idea was scrapped for the production models.

I think they probably decided there was too much risk placing so many long lengths of exposed tubing under the jeep in a diff vent system where just one crease or impact kink would pressurize (by heat buildup) the diffs on the highway and force diff oil onto the brakes. I think the vent fittings are restricted enough that very little water will get in.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes thanks for the answers.
I understood what you meant about why the differentials shouldn't be pressurized.
In my mind I thought (and that's what I get for thinking, haha) running a vent line to the air breather to prevent water from entering the differential would have been better than the vent fitting on it.

And you believe the vent fitting is sufficient to keep water out. And vent lines might get damaged.
I'll go with that. I respect your knowledge on all the subjects, answers and comments and is the reason why I come here and ask the questions.

Ken
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And you believe the vent fitting is sufficient to keep water out. And vent lines might get damaged.

Yes, but remember that the service and deep water fording manuals require some specific maintenance things to be done as soon as possible after fording. These tasks included draining and re-servicing all oils and fluids.

Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fording = work later I will agree.
Please don't think that I was contemplating on going fording. My reason for asking the questions was to satify my curiosty on the subject. I don't plan on doing more work now that I have it restored and can use it. The fording accessories I have installed are for originality and looks.
USMCM38A1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Diiferentials Reply with quote

Another thing is that the differentials actually build some pressure from spinning the oil and frothing which is why they are vented in the first place.
maeserik

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken your jeep looks to nice to go into the water ...haha

Erik
1957 fantastic wife

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1865

and this webside
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: