Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Welder
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Welder Reply with quote

Hi All,

Its gotten to that time. I got everything that could possibly be fixed, fixed. Now its time to start welding stuff.

I don't go to Tech School, so I never welded before in my life. However, my dad being an engineer, has. I've read a fair amount on welding, and determined I need a MIG or $&%, even a TIG welder will do for the kind of repairs Im doing.

I've come to ask if any of you can provide me with a recommendation pointing me in the right direction as to what make and model welder I should get. Like I said, nothing is terribly extensive - and I sure as $&% wont be welding 24/7. I definitally would like to avoid Harbor Frieght and Campbell Housefield. Are the Lincoln Electric welders for 300-400$ (i believe they were) at Home Depot okay? I definitally do not want to spend a great deal of money on one.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good welders I know of are:

Lincoln
Miller
Hobart

There are probably others, those are the 3 that come immediately to my mind.

Welding takes practice, so don't hesitate in obtaining some scrap to work on.

Also get a good grinder to cut and grind away your mistakes.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished a year of welding class in a VoTech...

You will not need a large unit, I did all my tub repairs with a 110 volt unit. It was a Lincoln 125 which has been replaced with a Lincoln 135. Will do all you want for body work. My welding instructor recomended not using it for stock larger than 3/16".

Take your time and do lots of tack welds to hold pieces in place then weld an inch and move to another spot and weld an inch... this will cut down on your warpage,,,

Hope This Helps...
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Millermatic 135, welds with flux core and or gas. Using Gas is better though with bare wire. I liked this brand because it has both adjustments that are variable. But It cost more of coarse. I am not a welder by trade nor have I had any coarses. With a little practice you can do anything. Most of all you can grind out the uh oh's.
tdavis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Bob, did you ever get a Welder? Which one? What's been your experience? Any advice? I'm in the market for one now and I'm thinking about getting this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100093231

Troy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BEAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Troy, I bought a Lincoln 175 HD, it's on the same site as the one you're looking at, don't know what the one you're looking at is like, but the one I got is an excellent machine. I'm a panel beater by trade & this machine does everything I could ever want it to Very Happy hope this may be of some help.
Cheers Ray
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I ended up getting a Miller 175 220V. It wasn't cheap, but it definitely paid for itself. Used it for everything on the jeep, using it now with my M100, and used it for many other projects. Never had any problems with it. It can use gas and flux. I've welded everything from sheet metal to 1/4" plate with excellent results. I know there is a gun out there for it so it can weld aluminum, although, I do not have it.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart. From what I know, they're the gold standard among welders. I contemplated getting one from Home Depot, but I read mixed reviews on the internet - most people saying they were nice for the small projects, but significantly underpowered for other stuff. Who knows if that holds any truth....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: