Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Appraised Value - 1952 M38 Wilis Jeep
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Appraised Value - 1952 M38 Wilis Jeep

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Appraised Value - 1952 M38 Wilis Jeep Reply with quote

I am in the process of titling and insuring my jeep. My insurance company has asked me for an appraised value. Does anyone have a range in value for a fully restored, 1952 M38 Willis Jeep with 43K in original miles?

Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards;

Thomas
Charlotte, NC
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fully Restored
is an often used term for many different levels of restoration. We'll need a much more accurate assessment of the restoration and current condition to offer an accurate appraisal. Also photos will be needed here as well. Since the range of possibilities for different restoration levels is so wide the best guess appraisal value range without the added information is $5000 to $20,000.

Some examples of the questions one needs answers to are:

1-Is the restoration an aesthetic one only or does it include a complete mechanical restoration of all components as well? Keep in mind that a partial disassembly, cleaning and painting of components does not constitute a complete mechanical restoration or overhaul of that component. A list of components would include:
A-Basic Engine
B-Starter
C-Generator
D-Voltage Regulator
E-Distributor
F-Carb
G-Fuel Pump
H-Water Pump
I-Radiator
J-Fuel tank
K-Instruments and senders
L-Switches
M-Light assemblies
N-Wiring
O-Brake system components
P-Transmission
Q-Transfer case
R-Front & rear axle assemblies
S-Drive shafts
T-Seats
U-Vacuum wiper motors

2-Was it an amateur or professional resto?

3-Was it a frame off resto?

4-Does all the equipment match the correct configuration for the serial number and date of delivery for the jeep?

5-Does the resto replicate the jeep's equipment and appearance the day it left the factory or does it represent the jeep's appearance with added equipment as it may have been used by the using service in the field during a specific time period?

6-Are all systems currently operational and meet roadworthy and safety standards?

7-How much restoration documentation comes with the jeep?

8-Is the jeep correctly titled and registered under it's correct serial number?

9-Do component models and serial numbers match the correct equipment types and date of manufacture for the date of delivery of the jeep? Is the engine serial number range, casting number and model correct for the jeep's date of delivery?

10-What is the condition and operational status of any added equipment or systems

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Zane

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thomas ,
Did you live in Hickory NC a while back? Somebody had a really nice m38 out on the lake that i would see drive around when i was at work but couldnt ever get up with them. thanks Zane
Thomas

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes;

Again, thanks for the comments and information. Based on the all work we have done since 2004 and 43K in original miles, I expect our appraised value would end up at the high end of the range you listed.

Since my father bought this jeep in 1974 in South Bend, it has always been in either a garage or a barn. When purchased, the jeep is was at least 95% original, with proper title, data plate, serial numbers, and original hood number. With it running and the body being in such good shape, we decided to do an on frame restoration.

Let me tell you what we have not done:
- Rebuild the engine
- Replace the clutch assembly
- Replace the brake lines

Everything else on your list has been completed. We went through ever group in the ORD 9 SNL G-740 TO 36A5-2-34 List of All Service Parts and disassembled, cleaned and restored to working order all the mechanical and electrical assemblies and sub-assemblies. If it was broken, it was repaired or replaced, and then if called for painted to original colors. Also, we followed the maintenance schedules and practices called out in TM 9-8012 TO 36A5-2-41 Operation and Organizational Maintenance Manual. All the oils and grease have been changed several times to remove any residual contaminants or build up dirt.

Every body part not welded to the body or frame was removed, cleaned, stripped, primed, and painted to return it to as close to new as possible.

Aesthetically, we returned it to it's post Korean war paint color, replace the upholstery to khaki canvas, and replaced the tires with Firestone NDT military tires with tubes. Lastly, we added final detail touches like new canvas straps, tire valve stem covers, chains to hold the "T" bolts for the top bow, and new reflectors and mirror. We have no top yet.

Now, we are running the jeep to tune up its performance and working on its reliability of operation. Also, we are working on the gauges get them to operate properly. With all that said, we have done a lot of work...took lots of pictures, and learned a lot of valuable lessons concerning the restoration of an M38.

Call me crazy, but now we are looking for a M-100 trailer.

Thanks again for your comments and the help from everyone on this site. We could not have completed this job without the pictures and technical forums.

Regards;

Thomas
Charlotte, NC
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas, Are you using your vehicle as a daily driver?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas,
Email me some detailed digital photos of you M38. The more the better.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: