Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Tailgate Help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Tailgate Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rufus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: M38 Tailgate Help Reply with quote

I have an M38 tailgate that does not have any holes drilled in it for attaching the jerry can or spare tire brackets. Can someone provide a diagram with dimensions (or a link to one) that shows where to drill these holes so that I can attach the brackets in the correct locations? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full size drawings are on my photo site:
http://willysmcparts.mypicgallery.com/

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Rufus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: M38 Tailgate Help Reply with quote

Thanks, Wes. That is exactly what I needed! I'm much obliged to you.

By the way, I picked up another M100 a few weeks ago. It's in rough shape but still has the data plates on it. I'll send you the info for the database as soon as I can.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

The back side of the tail gate should have some reinforcements that you can see in the above photos.

The civilian tailgates did not have these due to the different spare tire placement.
Rufus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ryan,

You must be clairvoyant. As a matter of fact I am working on a CJ2A. I needed a way to carry a spare tire and extra gasoline (after all these years I still don't have a reliable fuel gauge setup). I don't like the side-mount for the tire and I don't use the tailgate anymore (I keep the back seat in the jeep and use my M100 to carry cargo). Willys did offer a kit for moving the spare tire to the tailgate but after doing more research I realized that the M38 tailgate would be the ideal solution. I considered converting one of my tailgates but in the end I just could not bring myself to alter an original. At the same time I did not want to take an original M38 tailgate that someone might need to complete their M38 project and stick it on my 2A; so I found a reproduction tailgate for about $80. Unlike anything else that I've seen from MD Juan it seems to be reasonably well made; it's straight, has all of the reinforcement pieces and fits on the jeep almost as well as the original. However, it does not have any holes drilled in it for mounting the brackets and it does not have the loop on the top edge for the jerry can strap. I'll get the jerry can spacers from John Bizal and I plan to use the 2A spare tire bracket that I have and fabricate the lower portion of the M38 2-piece bracket. I think I can make it with the dimensions that I have but if anyone has them handy (like Wes had for the tailgate) I would certainly like to have them.
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently been wondering about this subject. A few years ago, in Doncaster England an ex US M38 was broken up to build a custom 'thing' anyway bits of this M38 are all over the place now. I have the tail gate which, looking at it is a genuine M38 tailgate, not a 2A etc.

Except the holes have been drilled in slightly the wrong place, the jerry can mount can't have the bolts going thrugh from the jerry can bracket side becasue the holes are drilled so close to vertical reinforcing angle on the inside that a nut can't rotate and you couldn't get a socket on a nut because it's so close to the angle iron. In fact getting a nut on is impossible.

What I'm wondering is; were 'spare' tailgates held in stores without the holes being pre drilled.

I can't imagine the factory drilling the holes slightly 'off' after all its not a land rover.
Cheers,
Dave.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

The tailgate might be a mistake from the factory.

I recently observed a complete driver's rear quarter panel assembly that was a factory replacement. It had several goofs on it (rivets placed backwards, brakets put on before spotwelding the inner reinforcement, misplaced brackets, etc.)

Who knows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: