Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Motor Rebuild Question...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motor Rebuild Question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Motor Rebuild Question... Reply with quote

I understand this is not the best forum to ask but I am asking it here as it applies to an older engine... This is the post I placed on the Willys Tech forum today...

I am going to put this out and I realize there are as many opinions as there are people… Please understand that in my book the only DUMB question is the one you don’t ask…

I am in the process of restoring a ’51 Willys Wagon (2WD) with planar suspension and a L161Lightning engine, T-96 Transmission with overdrive...

I have an almost rolling chassis; the frame has had all the rust repaired, the planar front end and rear axles have been rebuilt. The brakes and steering are the only things other than tires needed and it will be ready to add the drive train.

My engine when I got the wagon was frozen up and would not turn, I removed the head fear in the worst as the plugs were only in finger tight. I got the head off and the inside of the motor was clean other than the WD-40 I had sprayed all over to help loosen bolts… the WD-40 would sit in the pistons for hours before it would evaporate or drain thru the rings to the oil pan… The walls of the cylinders are smooth with no wear ridges found on them. When I disassembled the engine I packed everything in ziplock bags marked for where it came off the motor, ie: Piston 1 and all parts associated with it, Piston 2 and so forth.

After tearing the motor down I found the piston rod bearings on the crankshaft had worn and moved on the #2 and #3 pistons… The crank is scored on these pistons but not real bad I feel it can be machined out. Other than these faults I can find no major problems with the motor.

My question is if I can get the crank repaired would it be acceptable to reuse the original parts in the motor… ie: pistons, rings, rods… I feel it would go back together and be as good as original if I can get the #2 and #3 spots replaced and repaired…

Please understand I am a NOVICE when it comes to motor work and machine requirements… I am asking advise as I am trying to learn and make educated judgments on what I need to do to get this motor back into service…

Fire away, helmet and flak vest on…
DaddyGreen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Motor Rebuild Question Reply with quote

I know that used parts can work,however, you must consider the work involved in completeing an engine rebuild. My practice is to replace old with new. Hone the cylinders (30 degree crosshatch) wash with warm soapy water, rinse and dry, apply lubricant to walls, (plastic gloves) cloth can leave lint . Do Not: install piston ring gaps in a line ALWAYS OFFSET Do Not: install piston assemblies dry ,10wt oil is good soak em drain em and install/ notches go forward . Don't contaminate your new bearings by touching them more than needed (natural body oils contaminate dry bearing surfaces) Make sure all rod and main caps go back to original positions and you lube them with cam lube or a good equivalent . ALWAYS : Use a service manual and a good torque wrench remember to follow torque specs. PRIME YOUR OIL PUMP .... HAPPY TRAILS Cool DaddyGreen To clarify...... I'm not suggesting you replace old pistons with new,, just rings////
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: