Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Is there a comprehensive book on M38 restoration?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a comprehensive book on M38 restoration?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaymeta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Is there a comprehensive book on M38 restoration? Reply with quote

Looking for information on book or manuals that would allow a full and historically correct restoration of the M38. Something that would show the correct decals and were they go, correct paint, etc. Thanks in advance for your help!!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are a few of us working on one right now. While you are waiting for one of us to get to the publisher you'll find out this web site and our sister Yahoo group contain all that information for you free to use already. You just need to start exploring our files, photos and data bases.

In addition to this web site and forum we have four Yahoo groups all dedicated to the post WWII Willys/Kaiser military jeeps. To give you the short version of our history I 'll go back to 1970 when I bought my first jeep. It was a 1942 Ford GPW. I had wanted that jeep ever since my first ride in one at an Armory in Camden New Jersey in 1955 on a National Guard M38A1 radio jeep. I was in the USAF at the time in Bossier City Louisiana. Moving a lot in service kept forcing me to sell a lot of stuff. The GPW went in 1973. Then in 1986 I got the bug again in Rapid City South Dakota where I bought a very original and stock civil defense M38A1 which I used as a daily driver for several years until I retired and moved again and of course sold it and my CJ3A. Then in 1994 I got the bug again and bought a nice 1960 CJ3B and plowed snow here in Wisconsin with it for 10 years before I sold it to a restorer in Ohio. In 1998 I got the GI jeep bug again. Since I had already owned a WWII GPW driver and a M38A1 driver my next quest was for a M38. I had found a candidate on the web in 1997 and went to pick her up but lo and behold I had purchased a 1945 MB project. So what the heck, I started looking for the missing pieces and I am still gathering parts for her. Then in 2001 I got lucky and picked up a couple of freebie barn units, one a CJ2A and the other a 1960 wagon. Well both were very complete but right off I noticed the 2A had a lot of M38 running gear. So I sold the wagon as a project and parted the 2A out keeping the M38 parts and I started off on the M38 parts hunting trip. In 2002 I met Bruce Agan and got a M38 tub and the same year acquired a M38 frame in very good shape from Capt Mike. In 2003 Tom Mackie made me a heck of deal on another M38 rolling chassis with dash and cowl.

By now I was all over the WWW looking for M38 parts and info. It was during this period that I met Ben Daugherty on the old G503. He and I got a little tired of the WWII Good Ole Boys talking down to us and suddenly we had an idea for a group of our own. So I started the M38/M38A1/M606 Yahoo group in the summer of 2002. We are now approaching 900 members. Since Yahoo limited the quantity of files and data I could store I started 3 more Yahoo groups which we used just to store additional files.

When the G503 upgraded to their new Forum style I got jealous very quickly. Then I met Ryan Miller and during a visit with him, Ben Daugherty, and Hal Miller at a Fall Midwest Willys Reunion in Jefferson City MO we decided to give the Forum software a shot. Ryan was fortunate to have a lot of family members blessed with computer skills available. He has done a tremendous job with Jake on this outstanding forum and web site that we now take for granted. We have been slowly transferring the tons of files and data from the four Yahoo groups to this site. In the not to distant future this site will completely replace our Yahoo Groups.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/M38-M38A1-M606/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mjeeps/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/willysmseriescjv35/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/willys-military-mjeeps/?yguid=27397725

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
dweeb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any pictures of how the 24 volt voltage regulator mounts in ? I inhereited a project that has been in peices. Any help would be great. Also what to do if you have a 24 volt system but 12 volt gauges. Thanks

See Technical listing post! Wink
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

The book is still coming along and hopefully will be available by next spring.

I could not find a publisher for this type of book - restoration book.

The publishers I talked to wanted a picture book with all the M series vehicles and our book is a restoration handbook for the M38.

I am going to have it professionally bound in a soft cover format out of my own pocket.

Ryan
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Book Reply with quote

As soon as that book is published, I'm in for a copy!
maeserik

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pic during of mine M38 restoration might help...
The cable between regulator and generator is not yet installed here.

ERik
1957 fantastic wife

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1865

and this webside
north-shore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan_Miller wrote:
Hey,

The publishers I talked to wanted a picture book with all the M series vehicles and our book is a restoration handbook for the M38.

Ryan

Hi Ryan Very Happy

Hop you will includ M-38 canadian in it to Laughing
Rick_L

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan_Miller wrote:
Hey,

I am going to have it professionally bound in a soft cover format out of my own pocket.

Ryan

Did you try Bently publishing? They specialize in automotive manuals. I know someone who use to work there and still has contacts.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I have not heard of them. I may have to look at it.

I talked to the publisher who put out the "All American Wonder" books and they are more into picture books. They wanted to dictate the content more than I was comfortable with. They are a mass marketing profit oriented business. (I am not saying that is bad)

This book is a parts identification and lays out what parts look like and what parts changed and when they changed during production. It will also have some tips on restoration. This information is solidly referenced to factual information from military and factory documents.

The book is not a "how to" book because the military manuals have all of the maintinance and rebuild info in detail and are easily purchased.
The book should save people a lot of money when purchasing an M38 or buying M38 parts.

I am also trying to run down some photos - factory and military service.

I am planning on selling this book to help fund our website here and for some further research on all M series vehicles. Not as a mass marketing adventure.

Our website project on the MVPA M38 judging guide will also hopefully bear some fruit. I have sent the latest draft for consideration. We would like to see a standard that vehicles are judged from and not a guessing game as is currently done.
dongaston70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: M38 book Reply with quote

Hello Ryan.
Glad to hear about the M38 book. It is relly needed!
By the way, could it be possible to also include the M38A1? That way it would appeal to a broader spec. Just asking...
Cheers
Gaston
MVPA member# 17535
´62 Willys M38A1 and ´65 M100 plus some others... (All ex- Argentine Army)
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaston,

I would not mind adding the information.

I do not have any M38A1's in good condition (and taken apart) to take good photos of near me.

I have spent a lot of time gathering data for the M38 and have a little on the M38A1.

If anyone would like to help with information, etc. and would like to help write the material please email me.
dongaston70

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: M38 book Reply with quote

Ryan
I hope that someone shares info on the M38A1 for you to include in your book. If I just had a faster internet connection!!!
Anyway, I´ll want a copy, that´s for sure!
Good luck with your excellent project!
MVPA member# 17535
´62 Willys M38A1 and ´65 M100 plus some others... (All ex- Argentine Army)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: