Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Fuel Tank
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Fuel Tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: M38 Fuel Tank Reply with quote

Subject: M38 Fuel Tank
Sold By: Made by MD Juan, sold by just about everyone

Review:

Shape/ Appearance:
Shape is similar to the OEM for the M38. This new tank is an upgrade from the previous one made by MD Juan.

Fit/Function:
From what I have heard, fit was much improved and close to OEM. I do not know if this tank has the filler neck filter bracket as OEM.

Overall:
Fuel tanks for any M series vehicle are difficult to come by. This tank is a very close match. If anyone has more information too add, please do. We want to encourage improvements in all reproduction parts.

Rating: 7 (1- 10, 10 highest)
jeepers52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to buy an MD Juan repro tank because, like you said it is close to imposable to find an original. If you do find one it is usually not worth saving. The new repro tanks do have the bracket to hold the filter inside the neck, my original filter fit very well. The tank is much improved over their previous attempt at making the gas tank for the M38. It is not a perfect match, but I believe very close. I rate the tank at; an 8 out of 10. Let's see how it holds up over time
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Ken Perkin's presentation a while back on this latest MD Juan tank it appears the filler neck angle is much closer and the small strap tab on the top rear edge of the tank is off just a wee bit to one side. I have 3 originals and one repop.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
DJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: M D Juan gas tank Reply with quote

I bought a M D jaun tank ,it was the only one available,Ron F didn't have any,at least thats what the parts man told me. All was going well until I tried putting the seat in. The new tank is 1/4 " taller than the old one and the flange isn't bent down where the gas line goes between the tank and the tub and it is wider than the original. The rear brace on the seat hits on the edge of the tank and the middle brace rubs on the gas line.I can put a thinner strip underneath the tank and maybe gain +/- an 1/8' . But for 361.00 (shipped to me), I was hoping for a little more. I was quoted 250.00 to 300.00 by Tank Renu to fix the old one. I'm thinking I made a bad decision. If I were to do it again M D could keep his POS! Also only three holes were drilled and tapped on the sender,and the small strap for the gas line was not there.
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with DJ on the fuel tanks by MD Juan, or for that matter, all their stuff. It is new metal that you can cut apart and do over, but that is about it. As for the fuel tank ( M38A1) try and find a fixable or NOS tank. Besides being too tall, the sender holes are clocked wrong, neck is junk and doesn't fit, bends for hold down not there, hold down strap runs through the sender, original vent and fuel line need to be extended, sender swing runs into fuel pickup, why spend 400.00 for this?????? I found a NOS barn find tank---------300.00,--------I bolted it in and put my fuel and vent lines back where they were. If someone is re-popping it, get one like mine to copy PLEASE! Twisted Evil It would be worth while to either sandblast and solder or weld in a new bottom. Note: there are US made tanks for the M38 flat fender that are fine. M38A1, not yet! Sorry if this thread sounds hot, but I spent a full week fixing my new MD Juan only to find out-----My drivers seat looked like it was on stilts to fit. Disgusted with MD Juan! John aka Oilleaker1
pickle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. I have 3 originals and one repop.

Wes, do you still have any fuel tanks for an M38? If so, how much are you asking?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Perins sent this in a while back on the latest MD Juan M38 repop tank:

Quote:
This was emailed to me from Ken Perkins.

1) neck seems to sit a little high, angle appears correct though
2)rear bracket should be .375 to the right
3)straps in fine
4)does not fit perfect in my tub, others may vary
5)sender and pick up fit correctly
tank appears better built that the early ones, seams are well put together
go ahead and post for the others to check out

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
oldfordkid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Is MD Juan and Omix Ada the same company? Reply with quote

I am looking for a new gas tank for my 51 M38. The only brand I have seen is by Omix Ada. They are red oxide in color. I don't know if they are the same or different from the MD Juan gas tanks posted here. I've seen new gas tanks ranging from $350-$550 from different suppliers. Are they all the same or are there different companies making them? I just want to get one that fits, and works, inexpensively. I am tired of driving around with a 5 gallon gas bottle strapped to my grill. It actually fell off a couple of weeks ago, and I ran over it before my Jeep died. Thanks--Scott
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omix Ada is a stateside distributor for MD Juan. To confirm the source of their tank just email them the question.

evanso1975

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron F is advertising M38 gas tanks on his site:

http://www.vintagejeeps.com/pc-266-45-m38-fuel-tank.aspx

Not cheap, and I don't know if he has any in stock. But based on the quality of his other parts, it's worth a phone call......

Wbr,
Owen.

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,
I confirmed with RON that his tanks are MD Juan. It's safe to say that they have improved some over the last 5 years and so far Tom M has been the luckiest installer of one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: