Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Winch and Mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Winch and Mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: M38 Winch and Mount Reply with quote

I currently have installed on my M38 is a Ramsey 8,000 lb PTO winch and have it all connected and working. Its not the correct part number but its as close as you can get. My question is if any one knows where I could get the dimensions of the mount and fairlead? So I could fabricate it.
Thanks
Keith
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,
I don't think the Ramsey 8000 Lb winch drum will fit in the original M38/M38A1 Ramsey 50 mount frame which sets right down inside the frame the rails. I have heard folks discuss having cur the 200 series Ramsey drum short enough to fit in a stock M38 mounting frame.

Note how low the winch drum mounts inside the frame rails

This drum is a lot narrower than the M200 series

I have been waiting a long time for someone lucky enough to own one of these and generous enough to provide measurements for the call outs I've posted in the photo. We've had a lot of guys brag their winch ownership up but not one has offered to help with these measurements.

You can see in this illustration that the larger 200 series will not fit in a military model 50 mounting frame.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jonesal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, the photos you posted appear to have disappeared. Any chance of reposting them?

Also, I searched and searched the forums (and the web) and am perplexed that the stock winch mount dimensions are not posted anywhere, especially on this site. If I missed it, could someone please point me to them? If I didn't, from Wes' post above:

"We've had a lot of guys brag their winch ownership up but not one has offered to help with these measurements."

I'll take the begging approach: can someone pretty please post dimensions of a stock winch mount? Both the frame and mounting brackets? I'm mounting up my winch (Ramsey 200), would like it to look as original as possible and can easily make the brackets/frame. I'm to the point where I'll use photos and the TM to "scale off" what I can but that is more rough than I'd like.

The posts have been helpful in challenges with the exhaust and others (clutch, etc.). Again, any help in dimensioning a stock winch mount would be greatly appreciated. It would be a great bit of technical information to enhance willysmjeeps.

Thanks,
Al Jones
'55 M38A1
'67 M416
'70 M35A2
'69 M101A2
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I will "brag" and post measurements. I did this in about 2 mins if you need something better let me know.

hillbilly21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: measurements Reply with quote

Best to send me the winch so I could install on my M38 to make sure it will fit more than one BILLF !!! Razz Razz

Nice job , LOOKS GREAT !!
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I better clean up the surface rust on the rollers before I send. That should take me a good couple of years at least 20 or so.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill. Very helpful.

Now does anyone have the winch and frame laying on their shop floor or bench who may be willing to three view them with dimensions?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Wes. The only thing about taking these photos is it shows how badly my jeep needs to be repainted.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously due to a lot of use!

Bill_F

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has had a lot of miles put on it since I finished it. Did 60 miles just today. However I stopped to eat came back out a while later and it would not start. finally it did catch but it took awhile. I will need to go through things and see what is up with that. Also found some bolts that have loosened over time that I need to go through and check before I drive it again Crying or Very sad
jonesal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Thanks for the pics. I'm also particularly interested in the mounting brackets (from winch frame to vehicle frame rail). Any chance putting a tape measure on those? One other critical measurement is how far is it from the top of the frame rail to the top of the winch frame (adjacent to the rail of course)? It looks like the winch mount is set down from the frame rail. I always thought the winch frame and frame rail were level. So I need to get out my big eraser and redo my plans. Any more detailed measurements is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Al Jones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: