Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Cross Member Radiator Tabs
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - A nice Sunday Drive
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A nice Sunday Drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: A nice Sunday Drive Reply with quote

Yesterday weather here was clear, not a cloud in the sky and 70 degrees.
After church service I thought man what a beautiful day for a drive. I made the M38 ready. Went thru the flight or drive check list. Removed the battery trickle chargers, checked the battery water level, the radiator level and the tire pressures.

Got her warmed up while deciding where to go. Threw a field jacket in the back seat and stowed a bottle of water into a wooden holder that I made and placed in the recess pocket by the fuel tank right side. I made sure that I placed the slow moving magnetic vehicle emblem sign on the gerry can. I took a mental note of the odometer reading. Made sure I had my cell phone and told the wife see ya later.

Off to the filling station to top off. I headed north out of town since the hiways going that way aren't as crowded and I could set the speed as I wanted down the old scenic country road while waving at people in their yard as they stare when I pass. A few vehicles approached and went around. I came up on a small horse pulling a small wagon with two passingers, A man and I suppose his grand child. This old road soon reconnected with the main well traveled hiway and I proceeded to continue north on it.

It had a paved shoulder that I could move into to let speeders pass. Those going more than 45mph. I soon realized I had already clocked 20 miles. I came to a junction where a road went west 16 miles to another town. An old two lane hiway with no paved shoulder and hadn't been reserviced in along time yet still had a good top. I have never explored this route before. The scenery in my part of the state is slight rolling hills thick with forest, some cleared for pasture and some clear cut for the trees.

I passed a lot of well kept County dirt roads leading off the pavement. I thought next time I come this way with more time to spend I might explore some of them. But I would check the internet maps first to see where they went. It was turning out to be nice route. There was no traffic at all. I must have drove 10 minutes before the first vehicle approached from the rear. I signal it to come around at the first safe passing. A little while later I noticed some people on 4x4 ATV's off to the side of the pavement about a half mile in up front. I was doing about 35mph. I could see they were watching me with smiles and waving as I approched and went by them.

One more vehicle approched from the rear. I couldn't believe how light the traffic was. Regrettably the 16 miles was up and I had to turn south at the next intersection into moderately heavy traffic. But thankfully the paved shoulder was available. 18 miles to the next town. I kept a check on my rear view mirror so much That I was gettinig a headache worrying about the traffic.

Finally the next town and I turned east onto which I knew was a road where the traffic was much less and would take me back to my home town another 11 miles. Home at last but felt good about the drive and can't wait to try another sometime. Would be cool to do one with a few other vehicles though instead of solo.
Odometer registered that we went 65 miles in about 2 1/2 hours.
Hope you didn't get bored, I just felt like writting this morning.

Last edited by Cacti_Ken on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:25 pm; edited 7 times in total
jeepers52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great story. One we can all relate to. We love those great quiet drives with the old Jeep. It is about living life.

Thanks for the story

1952 M38 Jeep
1952 M38 Jeep (project)
1945 T-3 Bantam trailer
weasel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the story I live in Canada North and can only dream of what
you wrote,weather here has warmed a bit and I think of doing the same as you except some fool , {myself} hasn't had time to work on my jeep
to get it on the road. If you get a chance ...take a ride for me
GIJOE290

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really nice write up! Keep'em coming. Very Happy

Thanks for sharing it with us Ken.
Serial #56535
"The Green Goat"

Restoration Begins Summer 2005! ...Er Maybe 2006? 2010? 2015? 202...?
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Ken! Makes me envious and wishing I could get out on the road. 1-2 feet of snow here in Northshore MA with all the salt and sand on the roads has put a damper on that, for now. Thanks for sharing!
-Josh
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story Ken, and one I can definitely relate to. Its always fun to get the old jeep out and take a ride. Its getting harder and harder to find roads that we can safely take these jeeps on, at least around here. Someone is always flying past at 60 or so....Always have to keep an eye on your six for some yahoo who comes up too fast....

But it is a wonderful experience out there, the open jeep, the old engine humming along, people you have never met waving as you go by, one that I try and share with my wife on those long summer afternoons, and hopefully my new baby soon.
I just have to figure out how to put a baby seat in the back!!?! Ha!!

Thanks again for sharing, its a good reminder of one reason why we take up this hobby...

Chris
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually any road can be enjoyable if you'll just take your mirrors off and enjoy the ride. Just make believe you're driving an old diesel Oliver and pullling a loaded manure wagon. Only an absolute idiot would dare hit you in your six! Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a more serious tone I would try mounting a small strobe or flashing yellow light as a clamp on unit at the rear of the jeep depending on your local laws. Also if you are running an antenna add a blaze orange pennant to it. And there is always the farmer's slow vehicle triangle clamped to the spare tire. And last but not least I believe we should all run the full round red lenses on the public roads. Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am modifiying the tail lights with the gamma goat light covers. Plus adding the turn signal controller. I already have a slow moving vehicle triangle emblem decal on magnetic sheet that I put on the gerry can under the strap. It is very noticable. I also have the antenna up but I don't have an bright orange banner on it yet. But I will locate one.

Ken
maeserik

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, here in Belgium it is still cold and we have rainy days. We have to wait two months, april to start better weather. Now the jeeptrips are only short to let the jeep awake and charging the batteries. The first big trip is the club season opening in april, together with another about 60 old militairy vehicles, we make a whole day trip for about a 100 miles. We start in the morning and have a picknic in the afternoon.

Erik
1957 fantastic wife

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1865

and this webside
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all the flasher stuff installed and working on both the jeep and trailer.
I ordered an overdrive unit last week. Can't wait to get it in to see how it functions.

In April, the wife and I are hauling the M38 and M100 up to Arkansas for the ARMVPA club convoy. It will be and all day event most probably a hundred miles or so with picnic and rest stops and dinner that evening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: