Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Crankshaft pulley nut
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crankshaft pulley nut

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Crankshaft pulley nut Reply with quote

Hey,

I look in the TM 9-1804A for a torque specification on the crankshaft pulley nut, but it only said to "tighten the nut".

Any suggestions?

I also suggested to pre-oil the engine, but I don't have anything to pump oil into the galleys. Will it be OK to start it without pre-oiling?

Thanks
hillbilly21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: nut Reply with quote

I went to 65 lbs on the crank nut..

I wouldnt recomend to start the engine with-out preoiling ..
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I pre oiled my engine was to fill my oil pump with oil, then I turned the engine over with the starter until I got oil pressure.
artificer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you assembled with assembly lube or just well oiled as it should be when you put together pull spark plugs and ign wire to coil and spin her over until the gauge starts to flicker and raise off zero. Then replace plugs and wire to coil, start and full pressure should be near immediate.
YOU CAN'T TROUBLESHOOT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND
bubagun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a crankshaft nut from a WWII Jeep so that I could use the WWII handcrank, that slips through that hole centered in the front bumper. Makes vlave adjustment and tune ups a snap. I have never tried to hand-crank the engine over to start it...althoughI am sure it would work. My M38 starts IMMEDIATLY every time. Only when it is stored over the winter and I want to fire it up in the spring do I have to use the fuel primer pump.
warriorg1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy What i do is take the old oil pump, drive out the pin that holds on the gear drive from camshaft and remove the teeth by grinding or lathe. Clean the old pump well reassemble it, install the drive back on the pump. Then install the pump on the engine, then take along flathead screwdriver and cut off the handle and it will reach the pump through the distributor hole.Use a3/8 drill on the cut off end of the screwdriver to spin th pump. You can tun engine slowly while priming to lubricate top side of engine. The rocker shaft only gets oil 1 pulse per revolution of camshaft. You can also use a dist. shaft from an old dist . if you have one. Once you have pressure continue 1minute or 2 to fully lubricate everything. When finished remove priming pump install new pump. Make sure to prime new pump by hand before installing.I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it is worth it on these engines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: