Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - need body bolts / screws and !!!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need body bolts / screws and !!!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MODIFIED

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: need body bolts / screws and !!!!!!! Reply with quote

I know this is an anal request, but has anyone have the original body bolts / screws available ("S" sems type with recessed head and integral washer). I need the following:

screws for mounting forward floor panels to tub:
SCREW, int-teeth-lock washer, hex-hd, header-pt, S,
cd- or zn-pltd, 1/4" x-2ONC-2 x 5/8" (supersedes SCREW
7372885)

BOLT, ASSEMBLED WASHER, hex-hd, int-teethlock
washer, header-pt, S, cd- or zn-pltd, 5/16"-24UNC-
2A x 1/2" (supersedes REST 7375392 listed in subgroup
0312) (used on vehicles after serial No. 34021)

and any other screws that mount to firewall for knock out panels and such. I also need the 4 hex cap bolts with washers that mount the rear cap parking brake assembly to the rear output of the transfer case.

I got items to trade!!!

I'll take whatever... as long as they are still usable and period correct. please PM me....... thank you all
miljeep52

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midwest Military has the 1/4X20's $.40 apiece not sure of the of the others.Scott out
TomM

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will want to be sure to ask any vendor if they are supplying an true vintage packaged NOS boxed screw or a modern replacement.
Take a look at my gallery photos on page 5 - Tom M M38

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album09&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Tom
MODIFIED

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your point is evident tom, though I have to ask, are you willing to divulge your source for NOS bolts? or are you teasing me Wink

might you have any spares you'd like to sell to me? thanks for your response.

tom
TomM

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: screws Reply with quote

The source for 2 boxes of those 1/4-20 screws was a garden shed two blocks away from my house.
The owner dragged two M38's home probably in the 70's and started to collect up parts for a restoration. Somewhere, probably a surplus lot from the local base, he got two boxes of screws and an NOS front floor as well as a few other little odds and ends. They were stashed in his shed for years while the two jeeps sat outside and became compost.
When his wife kicked him out of the house about 8 years ago he gave me all of his M38 stuff in trade for some dodge parts that were needed for his weapons carrier which is now becoming compost.
I used all of the screws in the boxes during my resto plus I took all of the good screws I could save from all parts jeeps and had them re-plated. I will gladly look to see what I may have but I suspect they are replated pitted screws that didnt make the cut.
Note that the NOS screws are 1/2 inch and the screws removed from jeeps were 5/8.

I'm still in process of finishing up my project so I have not looked into what spares may exist. Its the usual "dont let go of anything" during the rebuild because you know you will need it. Slowly a pile is being formed of things to trade and sell.
For hardware there is a trail mix of leftover that needs sorting.
I replaced some non descript hardware with stainless and have leftover (10-24 round head slotted, flathead slotted etc).
Also I found decent alternatives to original for the 4 bolts that hold the rifle brackets tot he windshield. They are cupped with external star lockwashers but have an L instead of the original letter marking. I know I have leftover of these so let me know if you need some.
Hardware that I could save I cleaned and replated. This was the frame bolts, rear seat bolts with S, the top bow bolts with the big washers etc.
Tom
MODIFIED

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in whatever you have that you don't need or wish to keep. I would appreciate it. I have a few items to trade if your interested. let me know via PM>....thank you sir... tomk Very Happy
TomM

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: location? Reply with quote

your location?
selectphonedata

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Replate screws Reply with quote

Hi Tom,
Did you just replate the screws or did you also do the nuts and bolts? If you did not replate the nuts and bolts how did you treat them? Paint?
What were your costs in the replating?
Thank you,
Steve
TomM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: replating Reply with quote

Steve,
I replated unique screws and bolts. Generally speaking the nuts and any washers that were not captive I purchased new. Some were purchased in stainless steel.
Unique screws and bolts especially the bolts with the indented hex head or period markings on the heads I ended up sending out for replating. I had them done by a person who specializes in Corvette fasteners (where correct markings are taken nutty seriously by fanatic restorers). He mixed my stuff in with a big batch of fasteners that he was having done for his inventory.
It was rediculously expensive. I would have to dig through receipts to tell you more about pricing but its hard to judge because he did the batch and not by the piece. He also did some bead blasting in prep that I was unable to do.
The plating was cad per original.
I went a bit overboard because I left a lot of hardware exposed/unpainted so I wanted to be sure that it was correct. Luckily I had a lot of fasteners that were very well preserved with no rust. Do not attempt to have rusted or pitted fasteners plated. They look awful.
Items like sheetmetal screws, washers and nuts I just replaced with new.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: