Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - SOLD - 1962 Willy M38A1 with freshly rebuilt engine
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOLD - 1962 Willy M38A1 with freshly rebuilt engine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrambler868

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: SOLD - 1962 Willy M38A1 with freshly rebuilt engine Reply with quote

For sale is a 1962 Willy M38A1 with freshly rebuilt engine sitting on BFG KM T/A 32x11.50x15 and Rancho RS 5000 shocks. I purchased this rare find to completely restore but I just found out that I will not have time to even begin the work as I will be going overseas for a few months and my wife doesn't want it sitting around taking up garage space.

In addition to the items listed already it has 2 brand new bucket seats w/brackets, 2 additional carbs, an additional distributor, a new 550 CCA battery, bikini top and windshield channel. Please don't waste our time with ridiculous low ball offers as I know what this vehicle is worth as well as what it could be worth with a little work. It does not currently start due to a timing issue, however it does turn over, it does fire, and if you take the time to set it you will have a perfectly running M38A1.

If you have any questions or would like more photos, don't hesitate to ask as I would like to get this moved as soon as possible. I am sorry but I will not deliver the vehicle but it does have a removable tow bar with chains that will hook right up to a 2" ball. I towed it myself and therefore I know it flat tows well. All lights and signals work as well.

I am not interested in trades; this is for cash or certified funds deal only. If interested please send an email and I will respond quickly.

See the Craigslist add with pics.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/1181231648.html

Last edited by scrambler868 on Fri May 22, 2009 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reasonable reason for not finishing up the timing issue. It only takes 10 or 15 minutes to time that engine. It seems you will garner a much better price if you show it running. Confused It appears you are saying you just rebuilt the engine and have not been able to make it run. Was the overhaul done by a reputable shop? Do you have any of the missing military parts? IE 24 volt electrical components, cowl battery box and lid, black-out type light units, waterproof military carb, fan schroud and rear tub panel. What condition are the brakes and steering in? Can you post photos of the driver's side of the jeep and the seats you have?

I took the liberty of posting your photos from the craig site here.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
scrambler868

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

The only reason I may not be able to complete the restore is that I am going overseas for work and I do not know when I will be back.
The rebuild was done by a friend of the previous owner who actually owns a shop that specializes in engine rebuilds of this type. I believe the timing issue is that the distributor was not stabbed correctly, but I have not had time to stab it myself, as I have been working 60-70 hour weeks for about 2 months preparing for my trip.
I do not have any of the original equipment you addressed except for the waterproof carb. This is how I purchased it.
I will take some more pics of the driver side and the seats (still in plastic and in 2 pieces). No issues with it, the passenger side pics just came out better, I think due to the time of day the photos were taken. (early evening in Arizona)

The brakes and steering work very well. The only reason for the wheel chucks is safety since I rolled it out of the garage to take pics and my courtyard has a drainage slope toward the center.

Thanks for the edit and posting the pics directly. I didn't want to take up space with them so I put the link in to Craigslist.

Regards,

Rik
mdog

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $1300 for my '64 m38a1 which was all original except the carb. I don't need another jeep and its too far away anyway but you may have more luck if you tell potential buyers what you know its worth or want for it. Your post about lowball offers may have scared off a person with money, even more than the engine description scares people. Good luck with the sale and the overseas job.
scrambler868

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdog wrote:
I paid $1300 for my '64 m38a1 which was all original except the carb. I don't need another jeep and its too far away anyway but you may have more luck if you tell potential buyers what you know its worth or want for it. Your post about lowball offers may have scared off a person with money, even more than the engine description scares people. Good luck with the sale and the overseas job.

Wow, do they come any cooler than you? Great deal on your '64. Did you happen to buy it in '64? If the engine description scares people in this forum; they probably shouldn't be looking at these types of vehicles anyway.
My job is here in the US and I travel internationally while I perform my job.

Needless to say a little sarcasm goes a long way. Did you not have anything better to do today?
mdog

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it about three years ago and the point of telling you the price is so you will realize they are not all made of gold. I take back what I said about good luck, but you certainly need it.
scrambler868

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'll need as much luck as you seem to think I do. I already had an offor of $3000.00 but he wants me to hold it until next Friday and I have another guy stopping by on Saturday to take a look and he is offering $2500.00.

It's always a pleasure to meet people who feel sarcasm is the way to get a point across instead of clearly making a suggestion. I responded in kind hoping you would see my point, clearly I was mistaken.

My apolgies. Rolling Eyes
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello folks. Let me introduce myself. I am co-owner of the web site. I thought about deleting your posts but then what the heck I think both of you have agreed to not like each other. At any rate since you both have your email addresses showing please take the non-Willys banter off the board.

Thanks,
The Management. Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchase prices vary due to locations, market strength, desire to get rid of it and desire to have it. The $104,000 M38 at the Barret Jackson Auction last fall comes to mind. A poor resto with shoddy work and noisy machine guns and lo and behold a fish jumps out of the Martini and bids a wild bid. There will always be a fish out there trying to unload his wallet.

Scrambler,
I don't think scared is a correct word. I would use "reservations" which is why I asked why the simple fix it wasn't done. Things always sell closer to the asking price when they actually work. I think you are shooting yourself in the foot by not spending 15 minutes bringing #1 TDC on compression and sticking the distributor in the right place. I am surprised you hadn't already done it just to see what kind of non-running rebuild you had just bought. Confused

I think a buyer looking for a dessert runner will be more likely to pay close to your asking price then a serious M38A1 restorer will.

You should be able to sell it quickly though.

scrambler868

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Purchase prices vary due to locations, market strength, desire to get rid of it and desire to have it. The $104,000 M38 at the Barret Jackson Auction last fall comes to mind. A poor resto with shoddy work and noisy machine guns and lo and behold a fish jumps out of the Martini and bids a wild bid. There will always be a fish out there trying to unload his wallet.

Scrambler,
I don't think scared is a correct word. I would use "reservations" which is why I asked why the simple fix it wasn't done. Things always sell closer to the asking price when they actually work. I think you are shooting yourself in the foot by not spending 15 minutes bringing #1 TDC on compression and sticking the distributor in the right place. I am surprised you hadn't already done it just to see what kind of non-running rebuild you had just bought. Confused

I think a buyer looking for a dessert runner will be more likely to pay close to your asking price then a serious M38A1 restorer will.

You should be able to sell it quickly though.

Wes,

I completely agree on all counts; even the prior post. I picked up the vehicle late in the evening and planned to check it all out as soon as possible. I simply turned the key, listened to the engine sounds, and turned it off planning to work on it later. Due to the volume of work I have had, just got home this evening, I have been unable to do anything but work, eat, and sleep.
My wife does not want it sitting at our house taking up garage space while I am gone, possibly for 6 months or longer, and that is the only reason I am selling it. If I don't have a committed buyer by th 1st of June, it will sit here anyway as I leave on the 5th.

Thank you very much for your assistance and recommendations. I sincerely apologize for the off topic banter.

Regards,

Rik
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik,
Where in the Phoenix area are you located? Perhaps we have a group member a short distance from you with a lot of extra storage space!

scrambler868

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Northwest Phoenix, near I-17 and Dixileta Rd. That would be a great solution.

Thanks
scrambler868

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

Thank you again for all of your assistance. I was just wired the $3000.00 but I still need to hold it until the 30th.
I'll be on the look out when I return for some good deals. Maybe I can find an all original M38A1 for $1300.00. Wink

Thanks again and I'll be back on soon.

Regards,

Rik
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked out for you. I didn't think you would have any serious problem selling it.

mdog

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies to all for ever opening my mouth. Thanks Wes for the great web site.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: