Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Document Jeep History While You Can
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Document Jeep History While You Can

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BullRun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Document Jeep History While You Can Reply with quote

We have a base nearby that was closed about 10 years ago during one of those rounds of base closures. Super historical place dating from the very early days of WWII. It played a major role in winning the war due to it's function. But people have forgotten that.

It had two motor pool garages and the only cast concrete service ramp I have ever seen designed specifically for WWII jeeps. The ramp was made for oil changes, and other requirements that meant getting under a jeep. The center section was open so mechanics could reach up to the jeep while laying on a dolly. Wheels would be about waist height. Mechanics could line up maybe 12 jeeps at a time to work on them.

The place has been there my entire life!

I was in the process of getting ready to photograph it and had even scouted out the places for the best pictures... a week later the whole place had been razed including all the remaining WWII service buildings. I was hoping to drive one of my jeeps there and document how it was used. I am probably the only person who knew the ramps function was for jeeps.

Now in civilian hands the current management had changed the previous week and just like that they went in and started tearing down the WWII remnants on the base not designated as historical. Unfortunately, it's all gone... and no pictures, just a memory.
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite unfortunate… how easy it is to shelf "lest we forget" every other day of the year.

The same thing has happened up here in Canada. The area around Toronto was one of the largest manufacturing and military centers during the war. Everything from international spy training bases and POW camps to factories that turned out Bren guns and light bulbs to ships boilers and tracked vehicles have all disappeared.

M38 CDN
52-30718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: