Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - SOLD SOLD SOLD 1942-1943 Willys MB for sale- Great project!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOLD SOLD SOLD 1942-1943 Willys MB for sale- Great project!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: SOLD SOLD SOLD 1942-1943 Willys MB for sale- Great project! Reply with quote

SOLD!

I purchased this MB in 1995 in the exact condition as you see in the photos. I drove it for about 2 years and then parked it in the garage with intentions to complete a full restoration. 14 years later- I now have a wife, kids, and a career so I have decided to let her go.......the MB that is. Below is a FULL description of everything I know about this MB. Some pictures are below as well as a link to my Photobucket page with a lot more pictures

WILLYS MB, Date of Delivery Dec 30th 1942- Jan 3rd 1943
SERIAL# 199719
HOOD# 20251697

History and info-
I bought the MB in California in 1995 from a gentleman who told me that he had bought it as surplus from the government. I would guess that would have been 1952 since the DMV registration has it titled as a 1952 Willys and a first date of sale of 00/00/52. The gentleman told me that it was a 1943 Ford GPW. There is 1 data plate on the dash which must be a reproduction Ford plate. I was given a funny little metal plate that has USA-20251697 and SERIAL-199719 stamped into it- I have found out that it must be a military surplus inventory plate. I finally found out this is a Willys MB. There is no info regarding the military history of this MB. I have not yet been able to find the body numbers stamped into the toeboard gusset. The DMV VIN is MB632874......could this be the body number that I have yet to find?

Modifications-
The previous owner took out the original engine and dropped in a 1955 Chevy 265 V8 sometime in the 60's or 70's. To make the engine fit he and his buddys cut out the original front cross member, lenghtened the hood, added sheetmetal to the sides of the engine compartment, moved the grill forward, removed the original pedal assembly, and modified the original transmission hump. Electric system was changed to 12 volt. From what I was told and from what I can see.... except for the engine, most of the original running gear is still intact- tranny (not sure), transfer case, front and rear axle housings, drive shafts, brakes, etc. The wheels look to be of CJ2 origin. The front seat frames have been modified and the seats are out of an old mustang. From what I can tell, the rear seat is original, re-upholstered in vinyl. The steering column is original but the steering wheel is certainly not. I painted the numbers on the hood when I first purchased the MB, they mean nothing. Tow bar mounts have been welded to the front bumper. The pintel hook has been replaced with a tow hitch. The worst modification is the removal and replacement of the front cross member with a steel I beam. I know there are MB frames and portions of MB frames for sale on this board so I am sure this could be returned to original unless you just want to replace the entire frame. The chassis was painted black by the original owner.

Restoration-
Here is my list of the major requirements for restoration.
-Correct Engine, radiator, etc
-Tranny (not sure if it is the MB's or belongs to the Chevy VCool.
-New front floorpan to replace the modified transmission hump.
-New hood.
-Removal of extra sheetmetal that was bolted on to extend the hood forward. The original mounting points for the grill are still intact in their original location and the fenders have not been modified. The original owner seemed to be very careful to make sure all of the front sheetmetal could be unbolted, slid back into the original location, and reattached without any welding or damage.
-Correct pedal assembly
-Correct front seats and seat frames
-Correct steering wheel
I know there is a lot more involved in a restoration but these are the MAJOR items.

Condition-
The body and frame of this MB are in fantastic shape. There is no rust or metal rot except for some areas of the cross bracing running under the front floor pan. There is no rust on the body. The body is straight, no large dents, maybe a few door ding type dents. There have been some extra holes drilled into the body for a soft top and other junk. Except for the front cross member and engine mounts, the frame is in wonderful shape . This MB is a great candidate for a restoration; this is NOT a trashed body and frame that have been out in a field rotting away for 70 years. Although modified, this MB has been well taken care of and treated to an indoor life. I have now had it parked outside for 3 months in the dry California sunshine. I have not started nor driven this MB in over 10 years.....it does not start or drive. I'm sure the gas is now jelly and that all the fluids need to be replaced. I have contemplated getting it running but I figure anybody who wants to restore it really doesn't care if the V8 is running. I know that the engine is an original 1955 Chevy 265 V8 which is valuable to guys restoring 55 chevys.......it's the first year of a Chevy production V8.

Price-
I bought this MB for $4000 in 1995 and I am selling it for $4000 in 2009. No inflation! I am located in Orange County, Southern California. The MB has a clean title and all registration is up to date as a non-operational vehicle. It is titled as a 1952 Willys. I am more than happy to answer any questions, email pictures, or take more pictures of specific items at your request. Feel free to email me at bnsdesign@sbcglobal.net
I hope she finds a happy home!
Brandon

Link to all pictures on photobucket website-
http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/ww26 ... 2-43%20MB/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: