Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Should I go for a M38A1 or M606?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I go for a M38A1 or M606?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linx310

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Should I go for a M38A1 or M606? Reply with quote

Let me introduce myself, I am a 26 old military vehicle nut with out a military vehicle. I don’t see many people my age interested in these vehicles so I feel like a young one in a sea of wise old guys over twice my age so I am hoping you guys can help me out in the spirit of keeping this hobby alive.

What I am looking for is either a M38A1 or a similar version of this vehicle to use as a recreational driver (2-4 times a week). I work less then a mile from my home and I feel that not only will this vehicle fill a desire I have had since I was child to own one, but also cheer up business in our office.

I work in the medical field and we see tons of veterans every day. They love it when I can relate to the equipment they used because a lot of people from my generation seem to sadly not care. So I know having one of these parked out front consistently would generate lots of smiles.

Well back to the topic at hand. What I am looking for is a M38A1 that is running and needs little work aside from minor cosmetic issues. An older restoration would be ideal. I am not to particular about the vehicle being 100% correct or authentic. A different motor, non matching numbers, or a civilian version of the vehicle that looks like the military one would be fine so long as its reliable.

Does a $5,000 budget seem like a good starting budget to obtain a running vehicle with out any huge issues? I am not looking for a pristine 100% correct vehicle.

Would putting together a M606 (CJ3B version) be a little cheaper the an M38A1 since its based on the civilian version?

I live in San Marcos Texas and understand that Austin has a big MVPA group so I am hoping if it needs any work I might meet some one there that has a garage and can help me.
MODIFIED

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3126 Cool
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the A1. I owned one of each and each was for several years. The M38A1 was a lot nicer riding jeep.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
TomM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: jeeps Reply with quote

The M38A1 is much more plentyful as far as jeeps and parts go. The A1 also shares a lot of common parts with its CJ5 cousin which makes the supply of parts even more common and less expensive.
There dont seem to be many M606 out there on the market and when they appear they seem to be more expensive than the A1.
Tom
Niclas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Go for the M606

dont follow the main stream Smile

ohh did I say I have a CJ3B/M606

/Niclas
Deino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, linx310. I can relate to the "young" part of your post. I'm 23 and just bought my first military vehicle. It is an M38A1, 1952 year model. I don't have it yet...I pick it up tomorrow, so I can't really tell you much about it yet. However, my dad's had a '52 M38 (MC) for about a year now, and we've been restoring it together and it's been a blast. It's not a comfortable ride, no, but it's a heck of a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to beginning work on my A1.

With a $5000 budget, you should be able to find a mostly complete (if not *completely* complete) M38A1 that runs well within your price range. I spent about 6 months trying to find that "perfect" one, but I'm really, really picky. What I've found is a rust-free, complete (minus the top canvas) jeep that needs a little bit of engine work. It's still 24v, still OD green with military markings, and with original tires (yikes!).

Personally, I think what model you get is entirely up to you and your preferences. All that really matters is that you are happy with your choice. You'll be preserving history no matter which way you go. I chose to get an M38A1 because I own a rust-bucket CJ-5 and really like the styling but wanted something military.

Best of luck to you!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using you persoanls needs as a decision make be sure to look at your persoal size. If you are 6 foot or taller or have a 38" waist or larges then the flat fender jeeps are too tight a fit between you and the steering wheel and your head and the top of the windshield. The M38A1, CJ5, CJ6, M170 and M151/718 series are the way for the big guys to go.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: