Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Death wobble back...errr....time for some new tires also...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Death wobble back...errr....time for some new tires also...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linx310

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Death wobble back...errr....time for some new tires also... Reply with quote

Well just when I thought I cured by death wobble woes with replacing almost every steering piece (steering box, tie rods, bell crank, drag link, pitman arm) with new parts it comes back to haunt me...lol

It doesn't seem to occur until I am over 40 mph this time though. And right as it starts if i punch the accelerator it stops it some times.

So I think it is one of these three things.

1. King Pin bearings - I checked them and they looked ok and the preload was correct. No slop seen.

2. Tires - The newest date on one of them is 1969. They are mismatch, one front one is a NDT, the other a NDCC. They are full of cracks and chipped off rubber. No sign of ever being balanced.

3. Toe in - I tried to set it best as I could but I dont think it is 100%. Probably going to take it to an alignment shop and get them to set it dead on at 1/8.

Right now I am leaning towards tires. I need to buy a whole new set.

I was leaning towards Cocker but all they have is the Firestone 7.00 x 16s for $123 a piece. No generic NDCCs listed at all. I also need to buy a rim for a spare.

What type of tubes and flaps do these things take?
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your tire pressure... I had same thing happening... death wobble as you call it... found tires down to less than 20lbs and they got soft...

Keep on mind that with the lack of weight these jeeps have lack of pressure is not as obvious as on a modern day car...

I took them to 30 and all is well again...

Hope this helps...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mismatched tires, low pressures, damaged tire casings, will all cause or aggravate a tendency to shimmy. Using the NDt's or NDCC's will also aggravate any tendency to shimmy plus they are downright dangerous tires on wet hard surface roads.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
topfueler1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey linx310 I have a M-606 (military version of the civlian CJ-3B). I had 6.00 X 16 NDT S.T.A. brand on my jeep wrong size to small. Bought them in Sep. '05 had 'em mounted but not balanced the jeep would wander but no wobble. Only had about 100 miles on them and sold them this summer. I bought five new Firestone 7.00 X 16 NDCC from Universal. S.T.A. makes these and Firstone gets a royalty pay for the name on them. Yeah they are $123 a piece plus $15 for a tube. Universal does carry the S.T.A. marked for a few dollars less. You don't need flaps they are only for WWII two piece combat wheels. Man I spent over $700 for everything including mountung & balancing. Hope I don't have to do that again for a while. Coker, Universal and Wallace Wade all have them and they are the same price. Lucas Tire has Denman and they are $115 a pc. Four years ago all these tires were $40 lower in price. Anyway this time I had them high speed balanced and no more wandering. Of course I don't go over 35-40 mph. These jeeps weren't made to be run at 60 mph to fast unsafe. I run 25 lbs pressure in front & rear. They ride very smooth for what they are of course new tires should. Get some new safe tires and get them balanced. Don't compromise your safety. Hope you get it straightened out. Good luck!
linx310

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just asked for quote from lucas tire via email.

Hope to hear from them soon because i need new tires bad.
topfueler1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linx I saw the Denmans at Spring Carlisle in PA Lucas was there nice looking tires. Like I said a little lower priced than Firestones made by STA that Coker & Universal Carry.
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem still persists? It's in your Castor/ cambor. If your springs have sagged to flat, they cause the problem. You simply install either new leaf springs, or a shim between the spring perch and axle. It is a tapered shim of about a 1/8 inch which tips the axle forward and cause more tip. The dreaded shimmy will go away. No steering shock needed. NEVER go 4 wheeling with your thumbs inside the wheel rim!!!! When you catch a rock/boulder, it spins the wheel and breaks your thumbs! Wink john
maeserik

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, is the shim at the front or at the rear under the axle ?
Erik
1957 fantastic wife

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1865

and this webside
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shim is long and slotted, it slides in from the rear between the perch on the axle and the top of the spring pack. It is slotted to center on the locating pin in the center of the spring perch . The pin is actually the bolt that holds the leafs together at the middle. You have to loosen the u clamps to get the gap to slide it in. 1/8 inch high at the rear to 0 at the front. This tips the axle to provide more Camber or caster, I never can remember which one it is called. The shimmy is caused by the old leafs getting sagged or flat. When they sag, you lose the tip. A old friend clued me in on this one. I tried all new bearings, tires, toe in, steering shock, and couldn't get rid of the shake. A good allignment shop should have the shims. Hope it works for you! John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: