Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 24V system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 24V system

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiGuy82

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: M38A1 24V system Reply with quote

Hello,
Ive got one month left in Iraq and then I will be living in the garage, restoring my Willys! Well, right now I am planning on a 24V system and I was wondering what I need to fully convert my Willys to 24V? All the pieces and parts. Right now all I have is the Generator and thats it. I was planning on a modern restore, not a museum piece! So, im flexable on what I can buy! There is a lot of stuff on ebay, but I also was wondering were would be the best place to get all this stuff, or is there just a bunch of places? Online? NAPA? ETC?

Thanks,
Mike

PS- Promise to put pics up as soon as possible. Right now, shes just a frame and engine with 4 angry squirrels!
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Where are you here in Iraq? I'm at VBC but have a bit longer to go than you.
ocwd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Parts Reply with quote

Mike,

There are a bunch of MV parts suppliers. Try:

Midwest Military
Army Jeep Parts
Peter Debella Jeep Parts
Surplus City
Brent Mullins Jeep parts

I have several 24 volt distributors. Let me know if you are interested.

Dave
dynodave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blog listed has a list of all the suppliers he used to restore his jeep. Its a good reference. Vintage Wiring of Maine is a great place to get the wiring harness from - a little pricey but definitely worth it. Rewired mine in a few hours.

http://troy-m38a1.blogspot.com/
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 24 volt parts are not usually found at civilian parts houses. First make up an accurate list of what you have and don't have. Then try to ops check all the parts you have to be sure they function. Decide now why you want 24 volt and what your electrical accessory plans are for your jeep. Those 24 volt generators are over $200 in rebuilt condition. The later transistorized regulators are now over $150. the 24 volt starters early about $300 rebuilt and late about $275 rebuilt. The rebuilt waterproof distributor is another $175 or more. If you need lamps the 1251 for example sell by the box of 10 for $30. The 24 volt headlamps with metal connectors are over $30 each now. Worjing 24 volt gages about $30 each and senders about $40 each.

You have quite a bit of time to get this sorted out. Don't rush into it. Think it out thoroughly. Shop everywhere!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: