Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - NOS paint compared to Gillespie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NOS paint compared to Gillespie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
53a1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: NOS paint compared to Gillespie Reply with quote

I got my first M38A1 USMC NOS part that is painted and compared it to the Gillespie USMC Lusterless Forest Green (34052) from RAPCO. To me they don't even look close. So which one is correct?

Thanks.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOS parts are not a good source of paint ID. They were normally produced after the jeep and often under different contracts. Depending on the manufacture of the part it could end up with 2430, 24087 or any other OD used by that manufacturer. Gillespie 23070 is lighter and more green/gray then 2430 so a perfect match is impossible. If the new part is 24087 that mismatch will be even more pronounced. There is very little liklihood any NOS part even if procured from a USMC or Navy stock room would be USMC Forest Green. These jeeps and their spares were all contracted for by the US Army Ordnance Procurement folks.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
madmike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish to share my experience with you, however limited. I purchased paint from Surplus City for my 61 M38A1. It is very close if not the same as the original Marine Corp green and the spare nos parts I have purchased. I have no input on how it will last as this is a recent restoration. I also do not know who makes the paint for them as the cans are labeled with their stickers. They refer to it as 52G111 with a familiar sub federal number of 24052. This is a semi-gloss paint.

The only negative I have is they sold me two gallons for a complete repaint and it looks now like I will use only one gallon. The product is very thick and must be reduced considerably and has a lot of base color pigment. It was not expensive compared to todays paints ($45.00 per gallon). I was able to go into the store so I did not have to pay all those hazardos waste charges. I'm trying airless spraying for the first time and that should also explain why this is going further as well.

This paint does not have any gray appearance...period. Hope you find this input useful. I just wish I could tell you what the sunlight will do to it.
53a1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

If you have some time post a picture of a painted part. I found another OD part in the bag for my NOS bumper.

This paint looks more like what I painted my jeep with but still not exact..

madmike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post the pictures as soon as I can. If it takes awhile, I will pm you to let you know the pictures are there. I need to learn how to post the pictures anyway and I just read some instructions Wes sent another computer challenged person. I will get my wife to download the photos to my computer. I can rebuild a freakin powerplant in my vehicles but I can't do what a fifth grader can do on a computer. ARRRRRRGH.

Mike
madmike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried posting the pictures but can't figure it out. Anyone wishing to see the comparison can pm me and I will send pictures to your regular e-mail address as an attachment. Sad At least I know how to do that.

Not much revelation in the pictures except to show that the NOS rear channel color and my original paint look the same as the paint color on the parts I repainted the USMC Green from Surplus City.
53a1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. No big deal.

It's not like I'm going to switch colors at this point anyway.
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, don't know if you know this already or not, but you can request from Ryan or Wes for a photo gallery so you can upload photos from your computer.
madmike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea Ken. Maybe that's what I need to do in order to get photos posted. I would like to eventually post pictures of the A1 I have since it is a little different than the others we have seen. Whenever it stops peeing from the sky around here I can get back to painting and body work. Pictures will follow that.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: