Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - MB and GPW engines
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MB and GPW engines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dozenjeeps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: MB and GPW engines Reply with quote

I have been restoring some jeeps and military trucks for the last couple years... I do not know much about the military flat head L134 engine... I have about 5 engines sitting around, some have on the oval boss on the side of the engine a MB 613560 is one example and some engines with GPW 6050 on the head but not a embossed number... I would consider selling some of these to anyone that may need a real Military engine, some turn over and may even run... I just need some info as to how to know what is what and a possible worth for the engine.. I know some must be just a CJ engine but I do not know how to tell for sure... can't seem to find a good information archive on this subject and I can't be the only one that does not know how to tell if the correct head is on the block etc... thanks for any links or feedback on this ... can't post pics on here as I am computer challenged I guess...
Yarder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can get confusing, but the F-134 is not a flathead. The L-head is the flat head.

How do I know this, I have a F-134 engine and a guy at the parts place sold me a head gasket for a "Flat Head" engine. It almost fits. It's really close. Really, really close. However, not quite all the way.

That mistake by the parts guy and my not catching it has just about cost me an engine.

There are a lot of F-134 engines out there. Used ones are going for somewhere around $125 for "one that worked when we took it out", all the way to about $600 to $1,200 for one that is all worked over.
dozenjeeps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, all I have are the flat head engines...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ID of your L134's is very simple. Just need two things for now.

Casting number from lower right side of block.

638632 = WWII MB and early 2A

641087 = later CJ2A, CJ3A, and M38

804380 = Late M38, CJ3A and DJ3A

908756 = Late DJ-3A, industrial engines and factory new replacements thru the late 60's.

Note: All of the above castings were at one time or another also used in the industrial engine lineup.

Serial numbers on oval pad top, right front side of the block behind the oil filter on the 638632 castings and on the small flat above the water pump on the later CJ's, DJ's and M38.

MBXXXXXX WWII Willys MB
CJ2A XXXXXX Early CJ2A
JXXXXXXX CJ2A
3JXXXXXXX CJ and DJ 3A
UXXXXXX Utility series wagon and VJ's etc.
2TXXXXXX 2WD Truck series
4TXXXXXX 4WD Truck Series
VXXXXXX CJV35 series
4LRXXXXXXX L134 factory new generic replacement engines
MCXXXXXX M38 original factory installed engines.
RMCXXXXXX M38 factory new replacement engines

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
dozenjeeps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes, thats what I was looking for, appreciate it... any rough idea what a GPW or MB engine is worth if its free or stuck??? I do not need to keep them and could use the cash to buy other parts... thanks again.. craig
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Willys engines anywhere from $50 (shrewed buyer) to $400 (fish). Unless you are willing to guarantee the engine is rebuildable and the crank is salvageable you will usually have to settle for the fair price which is "Core Engine" value which comes in two flavors, running as removed core ($200 to $400) and non-running core ($50 to $200). These are with no accessories. Basic engine is water pump to flywheel which includes head, manifolds, oil pump, bell housing adapter plate, front mount plate, timing cover and crank pulley.

The GPW engine if not locked up and the buyer can remove the oil pan, side valve cover and main bearing caps to inspect and all is ok from $200 to $600.

Carbs, distributors, generators, starters, oil filters are all separately negotiable and run from 1/5 of rebuilt exchange price (no idea if they work or not) to 1/2 of rebuilt exchange price (they appear operable).

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jam51m38cdn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good visual reference site is cj3a,click on Links, WW2Jeeps.com,Go Devil L-Head Engines, Go Devil Heads this is full of visual and information on the L- Head engines
dozenjeeps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: GPW and MB Engines Reply with quote

Thanks again for the idea on price also Wesk, one question on one of the motors,, the embossed has 441-58066 and the block says 638632, what would that engine be?? only time I saw a number on the embossed that does not match any of the things you sent.... appreciate the information, seems I run into alot of engines and usually just sell them for about 250.00 each running and sometimes not, so I guess I am not overcharging anyone or giving them away...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That engine is pre WWII. It was in a 1941 Willys Aerocar. I assumed all your blocks were WWII and newer. The 3 numeral prefixes are number of cylinders followed by production year.

dozenjeeps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: MB and GPW engines Reply with quote

Wesk, this is what I have..640161 head 638632 block......MB613560 Oval boss 638632 block.......640161 Head, ebossed 441-58066 block 638632...............800376 head 908756 block..........GPW 6050 HEAD 631087 BLOCK.......I have a couple more to pick up yet and both are froze but both GPW that I noticed, Thanks for the help in identifying them...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: