Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Tour of Duty TV prog features Military CJ5 M606A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tour of Duty TV prog features Military CJ5 M606A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GIjivecrew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Tour of Duty TV prog features Military CJ5 M606A1 Reply with quote

Sadly not my jeep but check out, mirror attachment, rear tail gate chains, glove box and front indicator lights. That an't no M38A1

My point, not sure I have one, but just a bit of nerdi spotters fun. Wink

M606A1 (Military CJ5 ) owner, 1966, ex-Swiss Army, made in Ohio. Website www.gijive.co.uk
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Good spot!

Check out MASH if you really want your head to spin.

I don't think there was one military jeep in the whole series! Laughing
Galen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the Warn lockout hubs, glove box, etc. . . . I know it's mean to pick, but sometimes it's so much darn fun!
GIjivecrew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see a real M38A1 in Mash, one time, its the one when they steal the generals jeep.

Any idea where the series Tour of Duty was made and when, USA I guess?Wonder if its an odd ball from US military or if they went to the trouble of painting up, adding correct tail lights and front shackles? I could understand it if they filmed in Europe but in USA? why not get a real M38A1, plenty about?

Meanwhile no chance of getting on with the jeep today, I got customers who want a fossil walk! While i'm out my wife is taping back to back Tour of Duty three episodes on FX+. cool! Laughing

M606A1 (Military CJ5 ) owner, 1966, ex-Swiss Army, made in Ohio. Website www.gijive.co.uk
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
Tour of Duty was on in the mid 1980's. The first season, they used MUTTS. The second and third season, it seemed they just used M38A1's and whatever looked like a jeep. My wife bought me the three seasons of the show for my last birthday. In the last few episodes, they even have Lee Majors. That dude was my hero as the Bionic man! Wink

Chris
51 M38
55 M38A1
47 CJ2A
48 CJ2A
51 CJ3A
62 Pickup
GIjivecrew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, I prefered the Bionic Women, Lynsey Wagner, Happy days! My M606A1( military CJ5) came over form the Swiss Army in 1988 after it too was in a Vietnam film, not sure which one though it must have been a British or Europian shot film? I would love to clock it on film one day. I know a guy here who owns the Jeep that Sean Connary drove in a Bridge Too Far.I got to ride in it the other day cool or what? Just spotted daisy Duke getting out of a jeep on TV, legs la bell! Cool

OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I was at Jefferson City, MO at the Willy's Reunion. Saturday night the local station aired the episode of MASH where Col Potter arrives at night. He is driving an M-38A1... Kind of a time warp considering MASH is supposed to take place during the shooting period...

Was a great shot though...

Then there is a Movie with Gregory Peck, he is an Army phycologist at a hospital in Arizona, the first minute shows 3 people driving thru the base in an M-38 Jeep (No doubt) during the later days of WW2...

Hollywood has almost no feeling for accuracy... My opinion.
GIjivecrew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the Airborne jeep used in the film A Bridge Too Far, Sean Connarys jeep, taken at the Weymouth WWII vets parade in June, the parade is just leaving the assembly point. It has the removable steering wheel fitted on Airbourne jeeps

James Bond was here!

Bill_F

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are some mb's and gpws on Mash, but it is mostly cj2a's. I did notice an m38 once, when they had the ammo dump and a pilot kept bombing them, and missing, the genral came to check out the situation, he came in an mb/gpw but his jeep got hit by a bomb and it looked like an m38 that was destroyed.
Galen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the camo M38's that are in use all over "Battle of the Bulge" with Henry Fonda, among other noteworthies (James Caan, etc). They just kill me! Such a great weekender movie, how hard would it have been to find a couple of MBs. I understand the issue with the tanks, hard to find enough Shermans to film the scenes like they did, but c'mon already! Somebody do some homework!

Oh yeah, Spielberg & Hanks did the homework on "Saving Private Ryan" & "Band of Brothers" . . . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: