Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 head stud removal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 head stud removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: M38 head stud removal Reply with quote

I had a very small coolant leak between the head and block so I decided to replace the gasket. It sealed ip aftera few minutes of running but I know it would only get worse not better.The block was already decked by the previous owner during the engines first rebuild. The heads off and I am starting to clean. I dont want to put the gasket in and have the studs start to leak so I am planning on pulling them out. I am concerned that I am opening up a can of worms doing this but tjhink its the best thing to do.
My question is, what is the best way to pull the suds out without snapping them or pulling the threads? I was going to dose them up with Kroil for a couple of days to try and lossen them up. Also, should these studs be replaced during every head gasket change or can they be reused. I know already that I have to replace three of the studs at a minimum to the longer version for the lifting plate. Any help would be helpfull to keep me on the right track.

Thanks Ken
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ken,

I assume we are talking M38.

The stud threads should be sealed with a Permatex type thread sealer. Do not use silicon sealant. Try to use a sealer that remains pliable.

The studs are not torqued into the block. In brand new installations they can be run full in by hand. Soak them and work them both ways to get them loose. Try soaking with PB Blaster or an equivalent. Heat will often work as well. If you plan to reuse the studs then use the "two nut" system.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Kenk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

Yes is its a 51M38 flathead. I will soak all the studs with PB and use the double nut method to work and remove them. Is there any way to determine if the studs are reuseable other than them having a good thread condition? Are they reusable per the TM?I dont know how long they were in the block so I was originally worried about getting them out and reinstalling them. Will seal with Permatex #1 at re-installation.

Just need to know about reusing the studs.

Thanks again,

Ken
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion studs are a better head retention choice than bolts. Studs can be used over and over without any real problems. The do not usually require removal when you remove the head. For this reason their threads and the threads in the block last longer do to less wear. The studs which have course threads in the block have fine threads for the nut. The fine threads offer better better control of torque application to the head.

Head bolts on the other hand have only the course threads that enter the block. They are removed every time the head is removed and wear a great deal since they are actually loading the block threads under torque while being rotated to install each time.

Once you have removed your studs, cleaned them. Checked their thread and shank condition, and tested their fit in the block they can be reused unlimited times. They should fit the block threads snugly and be installable by hand with just a little resistance. If they are loose in the block try new a new stud or a top shelf expensive grade 8 or higher bolt thread to determine if the block thread wear is the issue.

Once you have your complete set inspected , sealed (with a sealant that remains flexible) and installed you should have no need to remove them in the future on any future head removal.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: