Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Spring shackle threading..ooops
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spring shackle threading..ooops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WESTCOMVIC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Spring shackle threading..ooops Reply with quote

Just finished fighting with 1 out of 4 spring shackle bushings.On finally grinding off the shoulders of the 7/8 nut and driving it thru the spring hole.I then took the "U" threaded piece to the vise and cut a slot along just to the threads and opened it up. Cleaned up the threads and tried to thread on one of the other 3 bushings...no go, why?...suprise suprise, the lower spring hole, pass side is a left hand thread,while I thought Z~~~~~~~~~~~~~I was loosening it, actually tightening it!!The other side(drivers) are both right hand thread.At any rate I now need that piece! Any one else as dumb as me??
Kendall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where the manuals really come in handy- read the "Note" on page 294 of the TM9-8012 Wink
Kendall
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe there is anyone among us who hasn't been suckered in with a left handed thread at one time or another. They are very common on these early vehicles.

The manuals will usually keep you from falling into these traps. They are usually free to download them here. TM 9-871A, ORD 9 SNL G-747 and TM 9-2330-201-14 cover the M100 series trailers. The first two are hard to find but the later Maintenance/parts combo manual is a free download from several sites. Here's what TM 9-871A has to say about the left hand threaded shackle.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RickC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good hint on these vehicles is that most of the time the left hand threads have a notch on the points of the hex.... Not 100% all the time but worth looking for. As a side note...when I bought my M38 a previous owner had mixed up the hubs on the rear so that the left threads were on the right side.....
Rick C
WESTCOMVIC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: M100 manual downloads Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys, I guess I really did a dummy thing. A manual is definitely a must for me!! I get close to a free download of the M100 manual but can't quite get one .....any sure fire sites for same??
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/pdf/trailer/m100-m115.pdf

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
WESTCOMVIC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: M100 Tech Manual Reply with quote

Thanks,Wes.....got it all downloaded, hopefully no more silly mistakes!
FrankenJeep

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad, We ALL have probably done this at one time or another. I fooled with Jeeps in the mid-late sixties in Civil Air Patrol and beyond, and when I got "Willy", I had a vague recollection of some "back'ards" threads, especially with the lug nuts. Sure enough, I caught this memory when my impact wrench began to labor the first time, and it jarred my memory. So I gently "rocked" the nuts by alternately starting and reversing the wrench back and forth, and sure 'nuff......ZINNNNNNG! They broke loose......BEFORE I wrung one off! Laughing Ah HA! I CAUGHTCHA! You aren't the only one to run into left-hand threads OR wring something off. Laughing

It is always a learning process. And always something to do to 'em. NOW I'm tracing my wiring back to the horn button to see why IT quit blowing. Confused Always something!

FrankenJeep
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: