Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Steering wheel repair
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering wheel repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyMorreale

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Steering wheel repair Reply with quote

It's time to repair the cracks in my M38 steering wheel. I've seen several suggestions as to what is best to use - JB Weld, epoxy etc and was wondering how these fixes have held up over time. Can anyone who has repaired their steering wheels shed some light on the long term (a couple years at least) results?
TomM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: epoxy Reply with quote

I have repaired 3 steering wheels with PC-7 waterproof epoxy paste purchased from True Value for $8. You can buy the same epoxy from Eastwood for 3x the price in their steering wheel restoration kit.
Wheel 1 - black rubber GPW = 12 years still ok
Wheel 2 - M38 green - mixed in a little OD enamel with the paste to make the epoxy blend better with the green - about 5 years still ok
Wheel 3 - M38 - Small cracks are still ok but one crack was 1/4" wide and it looks like the edges may be separating a little. Its still solid.

Be sure to clean in and around the cracks with acetone or MEK (do it outside with ventilation) and a toothbrush. Sand the wheel with fine sandpaper so that the edges on each side of the crack mate. Use masking tape to tape the cracks to that you are not spreading epoxy where it does not need to go. Remember you want to fill cracks not blend epoxy onto the outside of the steering wheel. Taking your time with the tape will save a lot of time with the finishing.
The PC7 is a paste that works well and holds shape if you don't have to put it on too thickly. Work your epoxy/paint mix into the crack as deeply as you can using toothpicks.
Remove the tape while the epoxy is still uncured and let everything cure overnight. After cureing, sand the epoxy down to meet the level of the steering wheel plastic/rubber then blend your repair using #600 and finer sandpaper to polish the plastic and epoxy. You can also try wet sanding. If you have to do a second batch to fill some low spots be sure to retape.

Dont be too picky when mixing your paint into the epoxy, you wont get the color perfect. The less paint you use the stronger the epoxy. Just add a little pigment to change the epoxy from gray to green. You will still be able to see the repaired spot but when blended they are hardly noticable. Good luck with the repair.

Tom
chuck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have had great success using PC7 epoxy.When I did my M38 steering wheel last year there were several large cracks in the usual places .I gouged out the cracks using a Dremel with a V bit.Followed Tom's prep method,and found the epoxy has lots of working time.I also, carefully used a heat gun, which can turn the epoxy towards a liquid if desired,without changing the cure time.My final sanding was with 00 steel wool.
TonyMorreale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - sounds like I have a plan now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: