Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 stick shift rubber boot - where to get one?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 stick shift rubber boot - where to get one?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alpino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: M38 stick shift rubber boot - where to get one? Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get a decent, sturdy rubber boot for my M38s stick shift? I have got two from outfits that will remain un-named that are about as thick as condoms = ) cracking and falling apart in only one year. The vehicle came with a 50 year old one that was just falling apart. THANKS
LPCs 1980 to 2007
GPA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one from Debella for M38A1, it feels like rubber, but the one came from John Krage (jeepdoc) Made in India, for CJ-5 is pure garbage. Made by "Anchor" fell apart at installation. Never mind 50 years, it did not last 5 minutes. I do not like to leave the "outfit " unnamed either the service being good or bad, because other guys will fall into the same trap. If someone had warned me before the purchase I would have saved some money and headache and face (the CJ-5 belongs to a customer).
G740

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Trans lever boot Reply with quote

I have a limited supply of NOS USA made lever boots. Perfect and will not deteriorate in less than 6 months like the import junk on the market.
www.midwestmilitary.net
John
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M38 and M38A1 trannies use an integral boot that comes with the tranny and mounts in the cane housing. The CJ's use an external boot that fastens to the top of the small tranny cover with a metal ring and four screws. Unless you have the civvy T90 you will need the thicker military boot not the skinny civvy boot.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BullRun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently if you get a rubbery product that has been shipped from overseas like China and India and it goes in a shipping container... and that container gets put on top of a stack of other containers on a ship... sitting in the sun...and your rubber product was next to the top ... well you get the idea. After sitting inside a container and being cooked all the way around the world the rubber products are ruined...

I have had great success with Peter DeBellas USA made products and NOS too.
GPA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think the Sun did it. Those things sitting in a box on a ship have no chance to see the Sun. More likely their creator saved some ingredients and were !@&# right from the start. Besides the old parts were on the Sun and rain a lot in 50 or more years.
BullRun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Ultra violet light (UV) is not possible but elevated temperature is because of the placement of the container on the ship. It is the heat buildup day after day from the direct sun exposure in that top layer of containers on a ship that causes rubbber products to prematurely fail if they are shipped in that location. It is also not the whole container load just the layer of boxes on the top next to the metal.

I was told this by a sales representative for a rubber distributer we use at work for some defective Chinese made rubber gloves,(boxes and boxes of them!) we got at work. But maybe not true. Cheap ingredients will cause problems too.
GPA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is just an excuse. The same salesman would probably tell a different story for the metal parts, such as magnetic lines or air pressure. All they should say is, look guys we are producing some unusable low quality stuff, but we are working hard to make them look like the real stuff and we charge the same price.
BullRun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be an excuse but our sales rep is a very stand up guy. I don't believe he would mislead us.

On the other hand there are endless stories of manufacturers getting products made to completely different standards than what they ordered, especially from China.

This even happens with NOS parts. I have what was an expensive NOS M38A1 distributer that is now a paper weight because part of it was assembled backwards. NOS or not it was junk 50 years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: