Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1952 M38A1 tranny/clutch/eng Pic Heavy-Does this look right?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1952 M38A1 tranny/clutch/eng Pic Heavy-Does this look right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiGuy82

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: 1952 M38A1 tranny/clutch/eng Pic Heavy-Does this look right? Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I asked a few days ago about my bellhousing and clutch. I just wanted to know what you guys think of how I did and if I have to do anythng else before I can attach the engine to the transmission and put it on my frame? If you can't see something, just let me know and I will take a picture of it.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

hill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: 1952 M38A1 tranny/clutch/eng Pic Heavy-Does this look right? Reply with quote

The one main thing that I can see is that even though you have what looks like a plastic bag on the engine it is still a very good idea to have all of the holes such as the intake ,thermostat housing ,spark plug holes distributor housing and any other holes ether taped shut or rags or other means of closing up every thing because it is very easy to drop a nut or bolt or something else that could be very harmful to your engines health and also mice and other critters like to make homes in such places as intakes and exhaust ports and the like. I only say this out of personal experience from years of working on vehicles. Smile
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find it easier to install the exhaust studs and the eaxhaust manifole before you drop it in. Same with the oil filter line behind the fuel pump and the fuel pump.

Bagging is always a must do.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Yarder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PUt the rubber protector on the clutch release cable before you install it too. The rubber will also help stabilize the cable during the installation process.

I put the rubber on AFTER it was installed and the cable dislodged from the fork, and then that was a totally involved project when the fork dropped. The FIRST time I had it out, we also put a loose string loop over the clutch cable and the fork to prevent the two from coming apart.
53a1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice.

X2 on covering the ports on the engine ASAP.

Your civvy distributor may not clock the same as a military one so if you plan on switching plan on pulling the oil pump to get it to time. Much easier to do with the engine out.

Did you get a new felt seal for the input shaft on the tranny? Very cheap and simple investment while the tranny is out.

Make sure you change your pilot bearing and check the fit with an extra input shaft. Properly prep your pilot bearing as Wes has described many times.

Chase all threads on remaining bolt holes (if required) with tap before installation.
ChiGuy82

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!! Thanks Guys! Thanks Wes for the pictures! Hey, 53A1, where do you get those felt seals from and where do you put it since I cant find it in the M38A1 manual...? Yarder, the rubber clutch seal is the black rubber boot that goes on the outside of the bellhousing, right?
Thanks again,
Mike
Bretto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://walcks4wd.com/oil-seal-main-drive-gear-t-90.html

rdsar2k

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: flywheel bushing Reply with quote

Did you install a new flywheel bushing? Dont see it in the pics.
2008 Rubicon Unlimited MyGig
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of caution on thread cleaning or chasing. Use a thread chaser not a tap. A tap will remove more metal making the threads a looser fit and increasing the risk of bolts backing out over time.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Yarder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChiGuy82 wrote:
Yarder, the rubber clutch seal is the black rubber boot that goes on the outside of the bellhousing, right?
Thanks again,
Mike

Yes, that's the one. I tried to put that on the last time after I had the engine in the vehicle. In trying to scoot the rubber down the cable, the cable came loose from the fork, and then the folk came off, and then.......

Had I had the rubber protective boot installed out of the jeep, things would have been better secured.
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto everything that has been mentioned so far, especially Wes's comment on the proper lift bracket - makes it easy to install the engine and trans as a unit.

I would also add any item that is attached to the engine such as carb and crosstube, starter, generator, fan and belts, engine mounts, radiator and hoses, vent and fuel lines, spark plug wires and plugs. Get the distributor rough timed using the timing indicators (mark on 5 before TDC and points just opening). It is so much easier to work on adding accessories and fixtures when the engine is on a benchtop or the floor than when it is in the jeep. The engine, trans and all accessories were made to pull out and install as an entire assembly. One thing you will have to remove first is the shifters unless you are going to be dropping the body on the jeep after the engine.

To save a little weight you could add lubricants and coolant after you have the engine installed.

Good luck with your install!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: