Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Rear main seals preformed late type
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear main seals preformed late type

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53a1, what about the new, improved versions of the preformed seals the dealers are selling these days? Seems like I saw them in one of the ads in Supply Line or Military Vehicles mag that one of the dealers redesigned them (can't recall which one). If anyone here has used one, can you report on your experience with them so far? I will be rebuilding my original/spare engine/tranny/tc after I get the 'a1 back on the road, so this would be good info to know in order to make an informed decision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
53a1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could actually use a modern seal because I checked the crank dia that the seal rides on and it falls within what is listed in the tech bulletin. I'm just going with the rope that came with the gasket kit because I feel it will work fine. Probably would be easier to use a modern seal but I figure the rope worked well for many years so why bother. Confused
DJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"one of the dealers redesigned them (can't recall which one."

Midwest Military
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I did when I resealed the engine I have installed now - just used the rope that came in the kit. Although I have only run it a total of about an hour and only driven around the yard, I haven't seen any leaks yet. I might add that I am not an expert rebuilder, didn't measure anything, and this was the first rope seal I've ever installed. And I had a stuck piston that was driven out with a block of wood and a 20 ton floor press (i did check the piston and put new rings on all of them). Anyway, she runs good from what I can tell so far with no leaks (after retorqued a few things).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't John (owner - Midwest Military) on here? If so, John, can you comment on any feedback tove received from customers and/or testing?
G740

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Rear main seal Reply with quote

Yes, I worked with the manufacturer to remake the rear main seal. Long story on the original maker and what happened.
The new ones have been excellent. I have had nothing but good feed back so far. I have about 20 pieces in the field now.
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: