Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Replacement lower cowls, MD Juan and Classic Enterprises M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement lower cowls, MD Juan and Classic Enterprises M38

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Replacement lower cowls, MD Juan and Classic Enterprises M38 Reply with quote

I purchased some body panels for my M38 from 2 different suppliers. From one I purchased MD Juan lower cowls, left and right. After experiencing the MD Juan parts I purchased a left front lower cowl from Classic Enterprises.
A note about suppliers. Classic was good to do business with and I list below some things I think they should up front mention about their parts.
I purchased the MD Juan parts from D&L Bensinger. I have done business with them in the past and will do business with them in the future. In this instance I just think that the part they have available is not the same quality as what is available elsewhere. I also want to mention that I got the parts from Bensinger at the 1st of November and as of this post they have agreed to allow me to return the part I don’t want to keep. There will be a restocking fee but I think they are being reasonable about taking it back and either giving me credit or a partial refund after 4 months.
The pictures below are, Classic, MD Juan, MD Juan respectively.

MD Juan
1. The height of the panel is at least 1/8 inch short.
I measured from the front edge of the step upward using a square, the height to the top of the panel was 14.5 inches. The original panel was between 14 5/8 and 14 11/16. I measured both left and right MD Juan cowls and the measurement was the same, 14.5.

2. The step is made wrong.
I had purchased a NOS front floor/firewall panel. After installing it in the body I attempted to fit the MD Juan left lower cowl. It would not match up due to the hat channel on the floor that runs underneath the step. The hat channel was either too long or the step on the MD Juan panel was mis-shapened. I compared measurements and angles for that part of the hat channel with the remainder of the hat channel on my removed floor and found the original was a match in all respects for the NOS one I had purchased.
The same problem existed for the right cowl but I didn’t spend as much time on it as the left.

3. The gusset for the upper corner where the fender bolts is attached making it hard to properly fit the panel with the firewall.

There is a gusset in the top corner of the lower cowl. This gusset has a hole cut in it for the wiper vacuum line and has a cage nut on it for the upper fender nut. This gusset is included and welded to the MD Juan panel. However it causes a problem because that gusset, at least on my original parts, not only is attached to the cowl but overlaps the lip of the firewall to get the panel and firewall to fit and position correctly. It appears to me that this gusset was added to the body at the factory after or at the same time the firewall and cowl are mated up.

4. The original panels, in fact the whole top portion of the jeep body had a lip that is bent down into a U shape and then another piece of U shaped channel is pushed or secured into the channel that finishes off the top of the panels. The MD Juan does not have the second U channel but it does appear to be made from a heavier gauge metal.

5. MD Juan attaches the cowl support that fits up under the upper cowl. The support does not look the same as the original and I think it inhibits fitting the part.

6. Lastly but very important the angle of the front edge of the cowl where it is supposed to meet the fender is wrong. If you bolt up at the top the gap at the bottom seems to be about 3/16 to ¼ inch. I compared it to poster board templates I made of the side of the jeep before I started taking it apart and to the original cowl.

Classic Enterprises.

Upon receiving the left cowl I order I tried to fit it to the body with the NOS floorboard etc, just as I had with the MD Juan cowl. It fit almost perfectly, the position and shape of the step fit exactly on the hat channel that comes from under the floor board. No need to trip the hat channel.
I measured the height in the same manner as I did on the MD Juan panels. The height on the Classic Enterprises panel is 14 11/16 inches. If not exactly the same as the original within a 16th of an inch. The angle of the front edge where it bolts to the fender seems to be correct.

The problems or differences I noticed with the Classic Ent. Panel are;

1. There are no cage nuts or holes to attach the fender to the vertical portion of the cowl or the step. While this only requires more work on my part I think that the people at Classic should have told me about this when I called and talked to them when I ordered.

2. You have to special order the panel from Classic so they can eliminate punching the drain hole in the side of the panel. Additionally they don’t make one for the right side with the tool indents. The will make the right side without the drain hole but you have to construct the tool indents.

3. There is no gusset for the upper corner. I knew this when I ordered the panel because I asked. However, while it is good in some ways that it is not attached because of the fitment problems it might cause it would be nice if they volunteer the information or if they made one.
I was able to remove the old gussets and with work will be able to reuse them.

4. Classic does not include the cowl support that fits under the dash. This is a mixed bag. It is kind of like the gusset and the cage nuts. It would be nice to not have to spend extra money on one but it is good that it is not attached, in my opinion.

My conclusion on the parts is that the Classic Ent. part might seem like it will require more work due to cage nuts and gussets but that in the end it seems to fit well and is the better part by far. Based on my mockup fittings It appears to be almost perfect. I have ordered the right cowl from Classic.
The MD Juan looks great in pictures and appears to have the proper form until you try to fit it. I know that if you were replacing hat channels then you might figure on having to trim them for fitting under the step. This was not the case with me and it amplified the difference in the form and construction of the part. The MD Juan part will probably fit with work and it will be cheaper in initial cost because it comes with the cowl support but for my time and money it appears to me that if Classic or Midwest Military has it, based on this experience and the battery boxes I bought from Midwest I would buy the reproduction parts there before messing with the MD Juan stuff.
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reporting job RG!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ocwd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Body Panels Reply with quote

Thank you for the thorough review.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: