Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - First aid bracket
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First aid bracket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kendall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: First aid bracket Reply with quote

I noticed in the photo gallery a photo of the first aid bracket in a M38. In my M38 I have the lower bracket, but what kind of bracket/device holds the "J" bolt to the bottom of the glove box? Thanks, Kendall
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my M-38 I used a hose / wire type clamp with a screw and nut into the glove box panel... this allows the J bolt to pivot and have some movement...

Hope this helps...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tubing clamp and screw and depending on the size of your first aid kit you may need a longer screw and spacer as shown in this photo:

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wire clamp has two small bolts that fasten it to the bottom of the glove box.

There were what appears to be two types of brackets for the first aid kit.

One had a bend in it with a longer J bolt to accomadate a larger first aid kit.

This change appears to have been in 1952 around vehicle SN MC59353 at 3/52
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latch including the hinge assy, both hinge halves, the J bolt and wingnut all have only one part number each. The part numbers in both the 51 and 55 ORD 9's are the same. The 55 Ord 9 stops production of a first aid kit stowage latch at MC59392. The 55 ORD 9 does not offer any stowage mechanism to replace the early one. They all are discontinued at serial MC59392. The only supersedures were in the screws and that supersedure does not list a serial cutoff. What happened is the metal latch type first aid kit installation was discontinued at MC59392 period.

Willys offered no stowage provision for a first kit on the late M38 and all M38A1's.

The reason I'm sure is quite simple. They didn't need a first aid kit stowage provision. They just put the kit in the glove box of both jeeps. This made it easy to fit any kit supplied by any vendor in any reasonable size in the jeep.

Over the next half century I am sure both the Army and the civvy owners tried various tricks to continue the stowage latch system in use by installing the same or similar parts in M38's that had old ones fail and in M38's that seemed to have them missing but were only MC59392 and after that never had a latch in them.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Kendall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who replied to my request. This has been most helpful. This site is incredible! Thanks, Kendall
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: