Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Bracket on rear engine plate
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bracket on rear engine plate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oland

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Bracket on rear engine plate Reply with quote

I have disassembled my M38 engine completely and I'm now in the (slow) process of cleaning and painting everything. On the engine rear plate there is an "L" bracket fastened with 4 Allen screws (the only Allen screws I've found in the engine).

On this bracket is a thick rubber gasket or is it maybe just rubber putty? The rubber is not in a good condition but I don't want to remove it before I know where I can find a replacement. Has the gasket got a WO number?

I guess it is all in group 0103, but it's not obvious to me. Better ask the Forum.

Engine number is RMC 117912

/Oland
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three of the "L" brackets are reinforcements. All are listed in the ORD 9 as is the gasket.

Start with the ORD 9 SNL G-740 page 16. "V" is the gasket. "W" is the plate assy. Then starting with page 30: (since you have a post MC74419 engine)

Gasket V is 8328049 engine to bell housing plate
Gasket Z is 8328048 Bell housing plate to bell housing
Plate W is 8328047 Rear engine plate or often called bellhousing adapter plate.
The left and right reinforcements are: Lt 8328483 & Rt 8328484The horizontal angle is a support 8328125 on page 32.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Oland

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Thank you Wes!

I start to understand now. First, I only have the horizontal bracket, not the two lower ones. Are they possible to obtain or should I fabricate replicas?

Secondly, my rubber gasket on the horizontal bracket must be something homemade. Should I remove the rubber and run without it? I guess someone put it there for some reason. See pic. below. The rubber is quite thick.

/oland
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Rubberized L bracket Reply with quote

I bought a NOS bracket from midwest back when I was working on my M170 engine and it came out of the package with the rubber coating on the contact sides. Leave the rubber. I was also missing the other brackets and got them on ebay and see them pop up here and there. Call the trusted suppliers; they should have em.
2008 Rubicon Unlimited MyGig
Oland

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you rdsar2k,

It makes sense that the bracket has the rubber vulcanized at the factory and that the rubber is not available as a separate item.

I'll shop around a bit for new items, otherwise I will fabricate the two lower brackets and keep the longer one as it is.

/Oland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: