Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - I am getting the engine for my M38A1 back with a large bill
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am getting the engine for my M38A1 back with a large bill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: I am getting the engine for my M38A1 back with a large bill Reply with quote

It will back this week. The rebuilder pulled it apart, and then called me. They say it's in perfect condition, they don't know what problem I was having. They are charging me $500 for time and gaskets. I then called the Jeep shop (whom I am friends with). They say it was definitely the engine block, it was rattling like crazy, and $500 would cover their price of a repair. With shipping, I am out over $1,000
Bretto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much you into your M38a1 now? Seems you keep having all these expenses.
Deadguy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too much. I sold my 2007 FJ Cruiser (heavily modified) for $23,00. I bought the M38A1 for $9,800. I paid $1,200 to ship id down here, and ordered a few things (Beachwood Canvas full winter enclosure, in cab heater, directional upgrade, seat belts, an extra side view mirror and his custom rearview mirror from Pete Debella, overdrive, deep water fording kit, ax and shovel) all at the tune of about $4,000. So far, so good. that left me with $8,000. Then I had to buy new tires, inner tubes, stearing gear box, tie rod ends, wheel and kingpin bearings, shocks, horn switch, horn rod, all new gages, new shocks, new sending units, the transmission started to grind, and I gave Novak my core and got a rebuilt one by them. With all the problems, and still within budget, I had then rebuild my transfer case and got new correct military rims while I was at it. The wipers barely worked, so I got new wiper motors. There were no arms or blades, so I got those. No footman loops, rope track, or any of the canvas top stuff, so I had to get those. The canvas seat was too high, so I got a shorter one. The frame needed a major repair, it was rusted out where the front leaf springs bolt in. The leaf springs were cracked, and I had to get new ones. Getting up there, and just barely within budget. Then the engine took a dump. Having it pulled, I could see that the frame pwas shotshot, and I bought a new one from a california junkyard for $250, had it shipped here, sandblasted, and painted. What's really killing me, is all the shop work I have to pay for. I don't have a bay or a lift, or a mig welder, and the frame repair, engine pull, and frame swap are costing me thousands of dollars. It's a 1952 M38A1, and I couldn't find anything even like that close, so I got one from a restoration shop in Maryland. I asked a ton of questions before I bought it, most of which proved to be lies, and I have been fighting back and forth with them ever since.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would have been talking to a lawyer a while ago. I'm sorry to hear you are having to do all that to it - I'm sure it puts a bad taste in your mouth for HMV's, but on the bright side, you should have a show winning 'a1 when you're done!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Deadguy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the vehicle, I just drastically overpaid for it. And yes, I am talking to a lawyer.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I can say the same for mine too - I have definately put too much money in it, but we aren't in the hobby to make money off of our vehicles - you HAVE to love them! Glad to here you are still happy with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
army_inc

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the name of the place in Maryland where you got your vehicle from? That way, everyone knows to stay away from them because of their bad business.
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadguy, what ended up happening with the person/place you purchased your jeep from? Just curious. I hope it worked out well for you. As Wilfreeman stated, though, I don't think any of us buy these vehicles to be cheap or make money. But, that certainly doesn't mean that if a vehicle is stated to be in a certain condition, which is what you're paying for, and it's not that you shouldn't get recompense.
53a1

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion I think you are letting people bend you over. Reading your response I feel bad for you but I think you need to change some basic behavior before continuing with your project.

1. If I were you I would consult folks here before you spend any more money but before you do so, enroll in some bodyworking, welding and mechanic classes at the local college.

2. Determine how important odd-n-ends for you jeep are when the basic stuff is not working correctly.

3. Try to do the work yourself and don't be scared to fail. It's just a Jeep and this is the perfect project to cut your teeth on. I think you will find you will spend a lot less money doing it yourself even if you break some parts in the process.

Take the money you give to these mechanics and build your tool collection and your knowledge on how to use them. If the thing sits for a year while you learn... so be it.

Good luck.
army_inc

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53a1 wrote:

3. Try to do the work yourself and don't be scared to fail. It's just a Jeep and this is the perfect project to cut your teeth on. I think you will find you will spend a lot less money doing it yourself even if you break some parts in the process.

Take the money you give to these mechanics and build your tool collection and your knowledge on how to use them. If the thing sits for a year while you learn... so be it.

That's what I'm doing. Trust me, I'm failing with class Very Happy I know nothing of cars, but I'm a helicopter mechanic for the army. I'm saving as many parts as I can and doing the work myself for a full frame off resto. Sure it may take me 4 or so years, but in the end, I would have saved a ton of money, and can be way more proud when it's finished because I did the work myself. It's true what they say about restorations too. You will put your blood, sweat, and tears into the project. You'll never get a monetary return from it, but I'm pretty sure you can sure as $&% get the enjoyment out of it!
circleburner12

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, do it yourself!!!. ive had my a1 body done by two different people. in the end it turn out like crap by both times. so now im force to do it myself, which i should have done in the first place. im sure i'll do better then what they did.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all the above new posts make very good points.

For the new folks before you buy learn about the model you are buying, have it inspected by someone who knows that model well.

How can you check out a jeep a thousand miles away? Simple, come here and ask for someone who has restored that model jeep and is from that area to have a look at it for you. Or if money is no problem then fly there and inspect it or have the seller deliver the jeep to an independent shop selected by you for an inspection that you pay for.

Buying a jeep by photos and the sellers statement of condition can be a very rough way to enter this hobby and the old caveat Buyer Beware
is the bottom line.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
army_inc

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Yes, all the above new posts make very good points.

For the new folks before you buy learn about the model you are buying, have it inspected by someone who knows that model well.

How can you check out a jeep a thousand miles away? Simple, come here and ask for someone who has restored that model jeep and is from that area to have a look at it for you. Or if money is no problem then fly there and inspect it or have the seller deliver the jeep to an independent shop selected by you for an inspection that you pay for.

Buying a jeep by photos and the sellers statement of condition can be a very rough way to enter this hobby and the old caveat Buyer Beware
is the bottom line.

This whole statement seems true. I paid $3500 for my A1. Granted it's fixable, it's just going to take more time than we originally thought of. I know nothing of military vehicles except the one I work on which happens to fly. My buddy who went with me owns a 151. He said it would still be a good candidate for a restoration and it wouldn't be that hard. Well, after a little time and tearing things off to clean them up, more problems kept popping up. What seemed to be an easy resto turned into a frame off. I still don't mind because I know I'll have a good product when I'm done. The question is though, when will I be done? I'm guessing 5 or so years.
ocwd

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Jeep Reply with quote

When I bought my Jeep, I drove 12 hours to inspect it before I forked over the cash. I was prepared to go home empty-handed.
Deadguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hind-site is 20/20. The only other vehicle I bought, and that was a good 6 years ago, without looking over it in person, and taking it for a test ride, was a CJ7. I spent less money on it, and it was mostly a good deal, but I didn't exactly get what I was promised. I have gone through two other vehicles since (one was totaled in an accident, the other I sold.) I spent months before I even found an M38A1 in decent condition. Based off past experience, I asked for plenty of photos, and in several phone conversations, posed alot of questions. I was flat out lied to, but again, I should have looked at the vehicle first.
That said, I have at this point essentially done a frame off restoration, replacing the transmission and Transfer case in the process. Everything that didn't require a lift and heavy moving (like pulling the engine or installing the transfer case and transmission) I pretty much did myself. I learned plenty about military jeeps in the process, acquired a number of new tools. I still ended up putting way more into it than I ever planned, but in the end, I have a vehicle that I am very happy with, and more than a little attached to.
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: