Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Battery tray dainage tubes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery tray dainage tubes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Battery tray dainage tubes Reply with quote

I did a search on older posts regarding this topic and got some good info. However I couldnt get any pictures to show that were posted. Does anyone have pictures of the tubes under the battery trays. It is pretty simple but I would like to see a picture if possible. I looked through some of the photo galleries but didnt see anything.

TJ
MODIFIED

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a discussion on the topic:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3458&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=radiator+cap
I posted some pics in my gallery of the orig drain tubes as salvaged from a M38A1.
madmike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to be at this point of the restoration as well and have a question for the forum. My M38A1, when disassembled, had the battery trays oriented differently than the picture shows in the link. Mine had the drain holes on the outside and diagonal to each other rather than next to each other. Of course the trays could have been altered from original at some point but that does not seem likely with this A1. Lacking a picture in the manuals, I would like to know how members have found theirs. It seems either way would work but less hose would be needed if they were closer together. That might make more sense but we are dealing with the government here.

BTW, I bought the irrigation hose yesterday and could not buy a small section. Had to buy a roll but it was only 15 bucks. To make the 45 degree angle I had to get a small section of copper pipe and make a connecting nipple to better fit the hose. This seems to be a good solution and I will next try the heating bending procedure suggested.

Mike
madmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacking any input here I set up my battery box the way I found them and noticed that the 45 degree fitting did not work well for me due to a lack of clearance in the bottom of the box. I am going with two 90 degree fittings. And my first attempt to bend the tubing with a heat gun and spring inside did not go well but the second attempt I think is a winner. I had to clamp the hose in a vise and pull on the tubing while heating to prevent it from bunching up on the inside curve. Hope this info helps someone else.

Mike
madmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let me retract the above statement and say that I am going to mount them next to each other as in the picture. I tried to do it the way and I found the trays and the tubing from the trays are not lined up with the tee correctly, causing it to distort and want to pull off the elbows. Pretty sure it will work as pictured so unless you hear more from the busted knuckle garage, it worked. Probably as designed. But why should that interfere with my lack of progress?

Mike
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not anywhere near putting the drain tubes back in my M38 but....for what ever it is worth.
Recently I had to replace the rubber? drain tube on the outside of the firewall for the a/c condensor on my dodge pickup. When I went to the Dodge dealer to get the tube they had seven or 8 different ones but the thing I noticed when I got it home was that it seemed to have the right curve, diameter etc to get from the inside of the cowl box through the firewall and was pretty pliable. I didn't followup on it since I wasn't there yet but those drain tubes might be a partial solution.
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: