Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Identifying Horn found on M38 CDN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Identifying Horn found on M38 CDN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pickle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Identifying Horn found on M38 CDN Reply with quote

Hey Guys, as I take apart and label my M38, I noticed that the horn is not what was identified in the M38 reference book...Can anyone shed light on this...is from another vehicle altogether, or is it just missing a component. If memory serves me correctly, the manual indicates that the tag is even wrong (friend borrowing mine right now). Thanks in advance.

capescw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Correct item Reply with quote

ORD 9 SNL G-740, page 164 says it's the right one for an M38!

Have fun!
1956-60 USAF Special Weapons Program
http://www.bill-capes.com/insanity - Updated 04/26/14
pickle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so it is! thanks for pointing that out....I was looking at the book and it indicated that there were only two "other" suppliers (as you can see in the background of the picture). and the picture was different.

thank you very much.

Cheers.

MK
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an early and late M38 horn. CDN's came with the late horn.

Early has a sphere shaped rear like half a beach ball. Late has a cylindrical shaped rear like a can of dog food.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BCA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My observation is that Canadian M38's had the early style horn with the spherical rear cover, although I have come across surplus quantities of the later style horns (with Douglas connectors). Horns with Packard connectors all seem to be the later style "dog food" can style. There also a difference between Delco and Autolite horns but they may both share the same ordanance part number (will have to confirm this when I am near my manuals tomorrow)
.... Brian
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

I assumed since the CDN's were all produced in 1952 they would have used the late horn however I of defer to your observation and I would suspect that Canadians simply used the same horn as the early M38 that was being used already on their M37 CDN's.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BCA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: M38 CDN features Reply with quote

While I was unaware of the changes to the horn on the American M38, my observation that the M38 CDN had the domed horn raises other issues. Even though the M38 CDN was assembled by Ford of Canada in 1952 there were numerous variations in the features from the typical 1952 Willys M38. My very first M38 CDN had an early engine with an early non-waterproof bell housing and the early waterproof starter. A puzzle, but sure enough, Canadian Army work-orders refer to both the early and late engines as being supplied. Also there are the 3 circuit breakers on the battery box wall: I thought this was an early feature on the American Willys M38's. Most Canadian M38's do not have the script Jeep logo on the toolbox wall but some do; apparently they were used when Ford ran out of bodies without the Willys "Jeep" logo. So there is a lot to document about the Canadian Ford M38 CDN production.
..... Brian
pickle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian and Wes, thank you once again for your knowledge, I really appreciate it as it seems there is something to learn everyday with these M38s.

I guess if I was ask, how much did Delco play a role in either the American or the Canadian M38s?

thank you in advance,

mk
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the M series Willys Kaiser jeeps in the US very little. They were an additional approved vendor for the Army supply system and they provided 25A/24V regulators and generators, starters and other electrical components to the Army logistic system that were often used in the field on the M38, M38A1, M170. But Autolite was installed in this series of jeeps at Willys/Kaiser.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: