Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Sandblasting cabinet set ups?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sandblasting cabinet set ups?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
army_inc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Sandblasting cabinet set ups? Reply with quote

Ok. I know this was discussed at length onthe forum before and I read the differences between CFM and HP and all that jazz. Here's my simple question. I'd like a blasting cabinet to do the small parts. Nothing huge like the frame, axles, or what have you. I'm talking like springs, pedals, small parts etc.
I'm basically looking for set ups that worked for you guys. I've seen the HF and Northern Tool set ups, but there is a mixture of good and bad reviews. I'd rather buy something that has been tested here ont he forum and is known to work. That way, I know my money is going towards a unit setup that works!
So with that said, what kind of blasting cabinet do you guys recommend as well as size of compressor?
citabra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is a fun one to discuss.
First of all I am a tight wad SOB that can't stand to pay retail for anything.
If your time is worth alot you may want to invest in equipment that would not need modification.
I use a Kobalt (Lowes) 5hp 80 gallon compressor. Use the 10% coupon and it's about $750-$800 made in Tenn. by Cambell-Haupsfelt.

I purchased a HF cabinet with 20% coupon from the Sunday paper for $160.
Put it up on lockable casters to move it around the shop.
Replaced the internal 12v lamp with a 110v 18" flourescent and added a 12" 110v flourescent on the inside of the door.
Cut out a 10"x12" square on the left side and added a 36"x18" cotton "extension boot" to blast parts up to 60" long.

[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/392531_522821487731497_1528227214_n.[/img]
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter what cabinet you use; the thing that is going to determine your capabilities is the Compressor. I went to the Campbell Hausfeld site and was able to get a 5 HP 60 gallon referbished unit for $500 approx... Wired it up and what a change from my HF 21 GL 2 hp model...

I use the HF cabinet and added a vacumme to it and have no problems blasing small parts...

Just be sure you get a big enough comperssor recommend a two piston unit...

My 2 cents worth...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
army_inc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So pretty much a 30 gallon compressor really won't do the job well enough from what it sounds like. So I'd basically be looking at spending $500+ for this setup. I'm just looking for this so I can do small parts... not sure if the wife will allow this purchase at the moment... Crying or Very sad
SledDog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went small scale using my 6hp 30gal compressor. I bought a 15lb soda blaster from HF and use course soda from HF. So far it has worked on everything from small items like springs to larger items like the grill. I do not have a cabinet. I blast everything outside as soda is "environmentally friendly".
evanso1975

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a much cheaper alternative to sandblasting:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4714&highlight=electrolysis

Tends to take a bit longer than sandblasting, but you can see the results in Bretto's photos. Mr. Green

Owen.

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blast cabinet is a great tool to have. You do need a good sized air compressor as mentioned by the other posters but the compressor will come in handy for other things such as air powered tools and paint spraying so the expense is not just for the cabinet. You will also need a shop vac for the dust. I bought a cheapie cabinet from Ebay and had to assemble it - it came in panels. Even though I used sealant at the joints, it leaks blasing media all over the place. The interior flourescent light fixture failed and other things went bad - cheap doesn't get you a good cabinet. So, I would recommend a unit that comes as one piece with no joints. Check the makers specs for an air compressor, you might be able to get by with a smaller unit. I usually use 90 to 100 psi and either glass beads or garnet sand depending on the item being blasted. Pretty much every part taken off gets blasted and repainted.
JohnnyB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! The noobs first post
If you downsize your tips you can help a weak air compressor along but you will spend a lot more time blasting, and plugging tips ,I think my compressor is making around 19CFM@125 PSI 90-100 while blasting
And most importantly the dust you can't see is the stuff that kills you so, please use a GOOD resperator and stay away from blasting media containing silica It will be lethal
I have a ALC 60"cabinet (made in Ohio) from Northern Hydraulics It does a pretty good job, I use my shop vac to help contain the dust but it leaks media around the side acess door if I point the nozzle that direction
RICKG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blast unless i have to-i hate it.. no cabinet just a small pot unit Evil or Very Mad
Hey noob JohnnyB !! See ya round around.
army_inc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evanso1975 wrote:
Here's a much cheaper alternative to sandblasting:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4714&highlight=electrolysis

Tends to take a bit longer than sandblasting, but you can see the results in Bretto's photos. Mr. Green

Owen.

Although I can't see the pictures at work, it sounds like an interesting concept. I may have to check this out because it definately sounds like it is something that I could do without spending $500+ dollars. Thanks for the tip!
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another accessory I bought to help conserve blasting media - media drops in the bucket and dust travels on to the shop vac. It works!
http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Gallon-Dust-Collection-Cyclone-Separator/G6102
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: