Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - primer on metal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

primer on metal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: primer on metal Reply with quote

what primer would be better, epoxy or zinc oxide i thinkis right.
GregS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scar,

It depends on what you consider better. The epoxy primer is great over bare metal as it has excellent adhesion. With epoxy you have a limited time frame you can spray (top coat, fill primer, etc. ) over it otherwise you will have to let it dry completely and then scuff it. Epoxy primer is an excellent rust preventative.

If you use the epoxy primer, follow the directions on the can very closely. You will have to mix the two parts then set it aside for a directed amount of time to let it activate before you spray it.

Red oxide primer is fair, but doesn't have the great benifits that a 2-part primer has to offer. The oxide primer is not a good rust preventative as your metal can rust right through the primer. But, it is the correct color under your OD if you are doing an accurate restoration.

The only way folks will see the primer under your OD is if your OD chips or you miss painting a spot. If you are really concerned about having the red oxide under your OD you might consider making the first coat epoxy primer then toping that with the red oxide.
scar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i`am thinking more of long term rust prevention. so be ready to top coat when you prime, for epoxy.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scar,

PPG makes ther DP40 epoxy rust preventative primer available in a "red" color that is similar to the red oxide color. I used it on my project.

Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a product called POR-15. Its an extremely rust preventive paint and adheres super well to any and all kinds of metal. It stands for Paint Over Rust-15 -- since thats what it was originally marketed for, but let me tell you, if you put POR-15 on all your parts after stripping all the old paint and rust, you will not have any problems with rust. Ever.

After the POR-15, I applied the red primer, then OD. I've had a few incidents where I accidently dropped parts onto a concrete floor, and the od would chip with the red, but the POR-15 still stays on there. This stuff is so hard that it would toast any and all paintbrushes I used EVEN if I cleaned them and left them in a can of laquer thinner.

If you want to believe their marketing, they say POR-15 actually strengthens its bond to the metal more when exposed to moisture. I first questioned this, but let me tell you, right now I'm throughly impressed with the product and have no reason to believe otherwise.

It's fairly expensive stuff....somewhere around 100$ for a gallon, but you don't need that much. I painted basically everything (engine, misc body parts, body tub, hood, etc) at this point with my HVLP gun and still have over a half a gallon left. Real easy to apply on, requires no thinning.

I've heard good things about epoxy, but I found POR-15 to be easier.
scar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who makes por and where can you buy it. i`am not goin for show just hate fighting rust. i guess i`ll check prices and see which way to go. thanks for the info.
GregS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scar,

This was posted about POR on another site I visit........................

A couple cautions when using POR-15.

It flows very well when applied with a brush. If you spray it, you must use an Isocyanate safe mask. That stuff can kill you if you're not careful. Its the same stuff that’s in modern BC/CC paint systems and there's a reason professional painters use a fresh air breathing system. Doesn't matter if you brush or spray make sure you're in a well-ventilated area. I sprayed my entire chassis outside in my driveway and still used a charcoal mask.

Second if you strip the rust and don't use metal prep, don't ***** if it flakes off in a year or two. The instructions are very specific on this point.

Last, it is sensitive to UV light and will "chalk" if constantly exposed to it. If you're going to use it on something that will be in the sun you'll have to top coat it with auto paint.

Oh yea, someone mentioned gloves. Use them. Once this stuff gets on your hands you can't get it off.
scar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks gregs and others, good info.
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.por15.com

POR-15 like he said, is nasty stuff. Make sure you have a positive pressure mask, or make one. I bought a nice normal mask from the store, drilled two holes in it, ran some plastic tubbing, and violla, hook it up to the air compressor and I have a positive pressure mask.

As for the metal prep, if you media blast / sand blast, or perhaps sanding, so long as its not super super fine, you really dont need to use it. Make sure the surface is super clean though. You can use their product specially designed for cleaning purposes (which I think is just a plain ole' degresser). I used that for a little bit of it, but I've also found out laquer thinner or a solvent like that will do just as well as taking the grime off. All the metal prep does is etch away at the metal to give POR-15 a stronger grip. You get the same effect with a sand blasted / media blasted / or sanded surface. If you wirebrushed the metal, however, I would advise on using the metal prep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: