Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Final test drive and shakedown
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final test drive and shakedown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Final test drive and shakedown Reply with quote

Well, I went for my final few test drives today. I say "Final" because I go back to work tomorrow, and won't have time to do anymore work on her before the Gearogia rally next weekend.

Yesterday, I spent the day PMing everything I could. There were lots of grease fittings that I had to replace - wouldn't take grease. On the front shackles, I had to actually loosen the barrels a little to get them to take the grease at all. Wile I was under there, I painted a circle around all of the grease points and oil fill locations. I got my replacement driver side tie rod end yesterday and installed it also - what a difference it made! I thought I had replaced all of them already, but had missed this one, and it was worn out! I also installed my security system:

Put a lock through the chain link and around the gear shift and she's (pretty) secure!

Today, I spent most of the day chasing down rattles, fixing them, test driving, fixing another - etc.. I ended up putting faom tape under the passenger seat leg, gas can and the small battery I am using to power my CB radio in the glove box. I actually put it under, on the sides, and in front of the battery (to keep it from moving). I put some body mount webbing at the rear panel to rear crossmember locations - I had forgotten to put the bolts back in here, which was my biggest rattle.

I finally got my CB antenna tuned - I was getting an SWR of about 7.5! I had the magnetic antenna stuck to the gas can. After a bunch of checks, I finally stuck it to the top of the windshield frame and the SWR dropped to 2.5! I adjusted the antenna length and it dropped to a 1.2. For the meantime, I stuck it to the battery box cover - it is only going to be used on trail rides.

The last thing I did was to install 4 footman loops on the top edge of the body sides. I had welded up the holes years ago when I was doing the body work - before I realized they were supposed to be there.

After a couple more rides up and down the road, she has proven to be a fairly quiet (meaning ALMOST rattle free) and smooth ride - and I'm not having to fight with the steering wheel to keep her going in a straight line. I still have to rebuild the steering gear (I got those parts along with the tie rod end), but she is doing good enough for the rally. I used to be clinched to the wheel and my butt to the seat at anything over 45, but she proved to be a fairly easy ride up to 52 today - and would go 55 easy enough.
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feels great doersn't it!! Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does! Now what? Just kidding - time to do the M100! Oh, and start putting some miles on her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, now remember, there are more Jeeps out there waiting to be saved by you! You should be able to find one at the meet----- Laughing John
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhhh - my wife doesn't know that! I'm gonna tell her (when I find the one I want) that they are REAL hard to find!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: